System Hidden folders

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

System Hidden folders

Postby Freewee » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:31 pm

Hello!

Thanks for using BRU, but I have a strange problem!
I have 3 PC with XP SP2
I use the very last BRU edition
I want to rename the "folder.jpg" files( made by Windows media player in the folders where are my MP3 albums, for the display of covers).
They are hidden system files, and of course I choose the good options in Windows advanced properties to see them on my PC, and also the good options in BRU (Tab 12).
On one of my PC, it' s impossible to see any hidden file in BRU!
On the two others, I can see some files(about 1/3) and when i refresh files ,BRU find always a different number of files!!! :?
The folder where are my MP3 is big, about 16 Go, and about 600 sub folders.
Can it be the reason?
Thank you for explanations!!
Freewee

Postby KHL » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:46 am

Hi Freewee,

as Jim may be off for his wedding/honeymoon, I'll try to answer your question.

Your problem might be related to the mass of files/subfolders you want to rename.

Section 12 offers options Folders, Files, Hidden, and Subfolders.
Depending on what options are checked, it may last minutes to hours until BRU has found all data stored within your 16 GB/600 subfolders file tree.

You may try to move some subfolders, such as those starting wit letters A to B to a different one placed directly below your main MP3 folder and try different checks.

In general, the more options have been checked in section 12, the longer it will last to display all data.

Hope this helps.

Karl-Heinz
KHL

Postby Freewee » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:19 am

Thank you, but, in front of this fact, I tried an other software, with less features, that catch all this files in less than 15 seconds!!! even on the Pc where BRU can' t see any hidden folder, in spite of the good options!
My 3 PCs have about the same softwares ( anti virus, firewall etc...); The 2 where BRU can see a part of the hidden files are Intel and the one where BRU can't see any hidden folder is AMD! Could it be a segregation??? :lol:
Freewee

Postby Admin » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:37 am

I think the main difference between BRU and other solutions is that BRU operates using the Shell Namespace, whereas other solutions run through the file directory. The Namespace is much quicker, and is actually the "correct" method.

I can't recreate the problem here unfortunately. BRU routinely processes 200,000 files for me, without missing any. And without having any access to your system it's very difficult to diagnose.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support