Screwy Vista Message

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Screwy Vista Message

Postby jondoh » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:00 am

I'm running Vista Home Premium with a 64-bit processor. I downloaded this version:

824 KB. Bulk Rename Utility, Build 2.5.4.0 , for Windows XP (64-bit)/2003
(64-bit)/Vista (64-bit). Complete with installer. NB This version does not currently install the "Bulk Rename Here" explorer extension; see below.

I get this message:

C:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\Bulk Rename Utility.exe
The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running.
Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64
(64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

Anybody else getting this message? Thanks.
jondoh

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:34 am

Your download is incomplete, it should be 915142 bytes. Please download it again.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:36 am

One more thing: you're running with a 64-bit processor - but are you a actually running the 64-bit version of Vista?

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby jondoh » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:31 pm

Right, the download is 893 KB (915,142 bytes).

The 824 KB is part of the description on the download page.

I downloaded BRU_Setup_WinNTx64, the correct file according to the download page.

And, yes, I'm sure about 64-bit Vista; it came with the HP computer I purchased.

BTW, I've already tried downloading a second time; nothing was different.

I also tried using XP compatibility and running as administrator as a last resort, but still got the same message.

Thanks for your help.
jondoh

Postby Admin » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:46 pm

Sorry to labour a point, but as far as I'm aware HP only ship 32-bit Vista systems. I just want to be double-certain.

Please go to Start, Control Panel, then the System icon and tell me what it says in the System Type bit.

If you HAVE got 64-bit Vista then I'm now thinking that you might have an AMD processor, and I don't have AMD so there could be an issue there. Or can you tell me exactly which CPU you do have?

Many thanks,

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby jondoh » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:33 pm

You're right; I've got this:

===================================
AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.40 GHz
32-bit Operating System
===================================

There is a 64-bit Windows Vista; why would they do this?

At any rate, I'll download the 32-bit file.

Thanks for straightening me out.
jondoh

Postby Admin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:20 am

Yeah, I thought that might be the case.

Vista x64 is available in most of the flavours (Home Premium, Ultimate etc.) but by default you have to specifically order the DVD. Only the Ultimate package comes with both DVDs in it.

It's the same with pre-loaded. Most manufacturers are touting dual-core CPUs, AMD 64, 64-bit etc, but they are not loading the 64-bit version of Vista.

Microsoft and the manufacturers are stating two reasons: 1) User confusion, and 2) lack of availability of drivers.

User Confusion is rubbish. They should put both DVDs in each box, then when the customer puts the wrong DVD in the computer it says "not compatible, please use the other DVD". The drivers issue is definitely a concern (I can't use a couple of hardware devices with Vista x64 yet), but in your case that still shouldn't matter as you got Vista preloaded.

So I have no idea why the companies have chosen this route, as it just doesn't make sense. Especially when the next version of Windows is likely to be 64-bit only.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support