Replacing characters brought in by ID3-tags

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Replacing characters brought in by ID3-tags

Postby Niall Mackay » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:04 pm

Hello!

I use this program to get some kind of continuity to the filenames of my big music library and i really like the possibility to take the id3 tags and turn them into the file name.

My normal approach is to set [Remove: First 100] and [Add: %r %k %t], but I haven't found a solution for ID3-tags that contain characters forbidden in filenames, like ":" or "?". Both the character translations and the Remove:Chars funtion don't seem to work here.

I just want to turn those forbidden characters to "_" or, if this doesn't work, i want them gone.
For illustration:
I have a file xxxxxxxxxxxxx.mp3 (artist: Goethes Erben, track numer: 11, title: Kondition: Macht!)
I want this to read either Goethes Erben 11 Kondition_ Macht!.mp3 or Goethes Erben 11 Kondition Macht!.mp3

Is there maybe some easy explanation and/or solution, for I can't even find someone here having the same problem in the help section?

Bye,
Johannes
Niall Mackay

Re: Replacing characters brought in by ID3-tags

Postby Emerkamp » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:21 am

Hello:

You can check Options>> Char Translations. Last function on the drop down. See if this works.
Emerkamp

Postby Niall Mackay » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks, but as I already mentioned, this doesn't work. Probably only works on characters which are part of the original file name...
Niall Mackay

Postby Emerkamp » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:44 am

Niall Mackay wrote:Thanks, but as I already mentioned, this doesn't work. Probably only works on characters which are part of the original file name...

Well, I totally skipped that somehow. lol, I use TagScanner (v.6.0.18 current) for all my audio files. It can do what you need. Free and portable. It does folder structures also.
Theirs 2 apps that go by the same name, Make sure it's the one made by the Russian dev
Emerkamp

Return to BRU Support