Numbering: Match file sequence to Windows Explorer sequence

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Numbering: Match file sequence to Windows Explorer sequence

Postby rontokyo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:35 am

I want to number mp3 files in a Windows Explorer folder to match the numbering sequence of the CD back inlay. I'm able to sort the unnumbered files in the folder automatically by right-clicking in the window and ticking "sort by #." But the files appear in the BRU window in alphabetical order. Attempts to number the files result in files numbered alphabetically. I've been unable to change this behavior.

Dragging the files from the Explorer window to the BRU window doesn't maintain the same sequencing.

Is there a way to sort the files in the BRU window to match the sorting of files in the Windows Explorer folder? Is alphabetical sequencing the default? If so, can the default be changed?

Thanks in advance.
rontokyo

Re: Numbering: Match file sequence to Windows Explorer sequence

Postby JMM » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:55 pm

I'm not entirely sure of what you're doing so I'll throw in some ideas:

If the files contain numbers, be sure to check the setting 'Logical sorting' which mimics the Windows Explorer logic sorting, instead of purely alphabetical sorting.

Said that, if you click on each column you can sort (in ascending/descending order if you click more than once) by that column content. You can enable more columns by right-clicking over any column.

Probably the info you want is in the Track column. Enable the setting 'Extract MP3 metadata' to get that information, if it's set in the ID3 tag of the MP3 files. Then you can sort by that column content.

In any case, for working with MP3 file you might want to look at a tag-focused application for renaming MP3 and alike, such as TagScanner. While BRU can do the basics with the contents of the filename and get track data, programs like TagScanner can give you much more ID3 info for keyword-based renaming.

Hope that helps.
JMM

Re: Numbering: Match file sequence to Windows Explorer sequence

Postby rontokyo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks, JMM. TagScanner did the trick in generating the missing ID3 tag data that BRU could then apply. It then was simple to click the "Track" column to get the proper sorting. Again, much appreciated!
rontokyo

Return to BRU Support