"Bulk Rename Here" is not working correctly

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

"Bulk Rename Here" is not working correctly

Postby TrueMaverick » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:19 pm

I am having a problem...

It is supposed to work like this: I select the directory I want in the Windows Explorer tree, right click, and select 'Bulk Rename Here'. It should open ON that directory. It is not. BRU opens at C:/ directory (or 'This PC'), and not the file I am in. This is frustrating (having to search for the very file that I am already in).

**Can someone help me resolve this?

MY OS: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
BRU: 64-bit, Version 3.0.0.1, Installed. (BRU_setup_3.0.0.1.exe)
TrueMaverick

Re: "Bulk Rename Here" is not working correctly

Postby therube » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:09 pm

It should open ON that directory.

Yes, I would expect that.

and not the file I am in

Do you mean, "and not the directory of the file I am in"?

Check what you show the value for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\BRUfile\shell\open\command to be?
therube

Postby TrueMaverick » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:35 pm

Going to try to explain differently:

I 'right click' on the file I want to rename, and select "Bulk Rename Here".
Bulk Rename Utility program immediately opens.
The top left file tree is sitting at "This PC", and not in the exact directory file that I was just in.
Here is the tedious part: I have to cycle through to the file I was in through the file tree.

I want the program to open in the exact file/directory that was 'right clicked' on.
Can you help me with this problem?
TrueMaverick

Postby therube » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:20 am

It appears the BRU can only be passed a directory name as a parameter, not a filename.

Though you can drag & drop file(s) into BRU.
I regularly use Everything to find files, then drag them into BRU.

Would be a worthwhile RFE, IMO, to allow passing of file(s) (in addition to directories) to BRU.
RFE: Allow SendTo ;-).
therube

Postby KenP » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:12 pm

TrueMaverick wrote:I want the program to open in the exact file/directory that was 'right clicked' on.
Can you help me with this problem?

This is exactly what should be happening, when I right click on a file and select "Bulk Rename Here" from the context menu BRU opens with all the files in the same folder showing in the main BRU window and the folder showing in the Folder Tree Window, if I right click on a folder and select "Bulk Rename Here" BRU opens with the files in that folder showing in the main window.

I cannot find any setting that you could have changed so perhaps you have a bad install, I can only suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the programme.

The "Bulk Rename Here" feature works perfectly on my PC and should be working on yours.
KenP

Postby therube » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:54 pm

OK, then I misunderstood again.
When he says file/directory, (however odd it seemed) I was taking it to mean that he wanted focus on the particular file in the associated directory. ("This PC" is kind of meaningless to me because I never see/use such a thing on my end.)

So, then it sounds like ... thinking its going to be an association outside of BRU.

What version of BRU?
Was there a second "silent" iteration of 3.0.0.1 put out? Or was that with a different program...?
Can't hurt to download BRU again, uninstall, then install again.
(Backup first if you need to.)

If that doesn't do it, then look to associations outside of BRU (in the Windows Registry, that would be).
(Or the particular system calls that BRU is using.)
And that's going to be harder.
Was thinking along the lines of how you can pass different parameters to say, explorer.exe, & how that affects what & how things are displayed...

From a C: prompt... What happens?

Explorer.exe "C:\Windows"

"C:\{path to BRU}\bulk rename utility.exe" "C:\Windows"

Any unicode characters in the particular directory name?
Is the particular directory path particularly long, like somewhere around 256 characters?

How is BRU opening the directory?
SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems? (It appears not?)
therube

Postby TrueMaverick » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:50 pm

This is my problem

This is what I have to do.
TrueMaverick

Postby KenP » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:02 pm

I see you've opened BRU with a favourite selected, it shouldn't make any difference but have you tried opening BRU without a favourite selected to see if it behaves the same way ?

With BRU open, click Ctrl + N or go "File / New" then close BRU and open it from the right click menu.
KenP

Return to BRU Support