How to manually sequence list of files before rename

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

How to manually sequence list of files before rename

Postby Cuzzin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:22 pm

My situation is this. I have around 100 files that I want to sequence by timestamp. If they all had same file extension this wouldn't be an issue. I have two types of files. JPGs and MOVs. About 75% are JPG and the rest MOV. The conventional filename sequencing used by Win Explorer will not sequence the filenames properly. If I load the names into BRU, I can also sort the list by any one of the file attribute columns listed to the right such as CREATED, MODIFIED, etc. This doesn't work for my set of mixed file types. All the JPG files will sequence correctly based on CREATED. That part is fine. The problem is that the CREATED field is blank for the MOV files so they all appear together at the beginning of the file list and are not placed in their correct chronological sequence.

Is there a way in BRU for me to first drag and drop filenames in the list into their proper chronological order and then do the renaming using the "ignore file extension" option? I have an accurate source of information that gives me a CREATE timestamp I will use to position the MOV files in their correct position in the list.
Cuzzin

Re: How to manually sequence list of files before rename

Postby KenP » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:05 pm

Once the files are in the correct order the file extension won't matter unless you choose to include it, I think you'll find that "Renaming Options / Ignore / File Extensions" works backwards to what you might expect, if it's ticked the file extension is included in the renaming process, if it's not ticked the file extension is ignored in the renaming process.

Alternatively how about dragging and dropping the files into the correct order then giving them a sequential prefix number using "Numbering (10)", you could then sort the files by name before renaming, you could always delete the numbers after you've renamed the files.
KenP

Re: How to manually sequence list of files before rename

Postby Cuzzin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:20 pm

Will try your suggestions this afternoon. Thank you.
Cuzzin

Return to BRU Support