Can't make program work

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Can't make program work

Postby msjordan » Sat May 06, 2017 4:02 pm

So I know I must be missing something basic, that will cause me to slap my head but I can't get the software to work

and to head off the invariable - "RTFM" comments
1st I read pages 1 thru 13 of said manual - carefully
2nd - Reviewed the web site FAQ - carefully

As an example I have a batch (+50) of epubs/mobi's in one directory that look like this:
- Django Wexler - Shadow Campaigns 01 - The Thousand Names (mobi).mobi
- C J Carella - [New Olympus Saga 04] - The Ragnarok Alternative (epub).epub

?Here is what I want to end up with
- Wexler, Django - [Shadow Campaigns 01] - The Thousand Names.mobi
? - Carella, C J - [New Olympus Saga 04] - The Ragnarok Alternative?

?For a number of years I have been using Flex Renamer, unfortunately it is no longer supported and due some upgrade the Microsoft did to Win 7 recently have made the program unstable and unusable. Using Flex I would have used the following steps?

1) remove (epub) & (mobi)- along with the space in front of it
- replace with command
2) Change the name order to "Last name, first Name" - note the comma
- replace 1st 2nd name with 2nd Name, 1st name
3) put [] around ?the series name ie [Shadow campaigns 01]
- with a insert character or replace with command
4) In addition, invariably there will 2 or more blank spaces that will need to be removed
- replace with command

?-=---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So after reading the manual I did the following:
1) selected the directory - which blue hi-lit'd all the files in the directory
2) went down to #3 Replace
there was a "check" mark in the "r" box
input {space(epub).} in the replace box- Note did not use {} or the word space
input {.} in the with box - Note did not use {}
?3) the went to select rename - grayed out
4) tried going into the directory and selected all (ctrl A) - rename still grayed out?
5) Un-Selected all the files in the directory and used used "ctrl - hold - click " and selected 4 - rename is still grayed out

So, I'm certain that with the use of RegEx or Javascript I could do all of this in one command - I'll tackle that later - right now lets keep it simple

?So some guidance would be appreciated?
msjordan

Re: Can't make program work

Postby Emerkamp » Sun May 07, 2017 8:58 am

Hi.

If you're trying to remove file extension, then you need to tick, "Ignore>> file extension" Under options pull down, or box (11) for just the .ext

You can filter by .ext also. Have you tried renaming the first example set yet??
Emerkamp

Postby msjordan » Sun May 07, 2017 4:42 pm

At no place in the post does it say I want to change the real file extension - just the " (epub) before the .epub

But that is not the problem

I select files as per the manual and the rename button stay's grayed out - SIMPLE - shouldn't be that hard
msjordan

Postby KenP » Sun May 07, 2017 5:37 pm

This isn't perfect but I don't have time to go any further with it at the moment, this will work for the file names you've given but will leave some extra spaces that you will need to delete afterwards.

RegEx (1)
Match: ((\w+)\s(\w\s)?(\w+))\s-\s\[?(\D*\d\d)[^-]?([^\(]*)
Replace: \4, \2 \3 - [\5] \6

If it's what you're looking for I'll have another look and see if I can get rid of the extra spaces when I get time.
KenP

Postby KenP » Sun May 07, 2017 5:46 pm

msjordan wrote:So after reading the manual I did the following:
input {space(epub).} in the replace box- Note did not use {} or the word space >>>>>> (Replace should be (mobi) not )(mobi).
input {.} in the with box - Note did not use {} >>>>>> (With should be empty)
4) tried going into the directory and selected all (ctrl A) - rename still grayed out?
5) Un-Selected all the files in the directory and used used "ctrl - hold - click " and selected 4 - rename is still grayed out

So, I'm certain that with the use of RegEx or Javascript I could do all of this in one command - I'll tackle that later - right now lets keep it simple

?So some guidance would be appreciated?
KenP

Postby Emerkamp » Sun May 07, 2017 5:47 pm

Your text: Not mine
This dot right here in the replace box says different, Your messing with the file extension.

If your rename button is grayed out, can only mean you haven't selected anything yet.

Anyways, I'm done with this post.

Have a nice day. :D
Emerkamp

Postby msjordan » Sun May 07, 2017 7:44 pm

KenP - thanks for the Regx idea
BUT

I can't even get the program to even recognize that I have selected files - so I can do a simple remove or replace command - let alone start playing around with Regx

Emerkamp :
Implied but not said (im sorry) was the replace would be the period

Re "Not Selecting file comment" - obviously you didn't Look at the bottom of the post - I have done everything the manual says todo

So after reading the manual I did the following:
msjordan

Postby KenP » Sun May 07, 2017 8:19 pm

msjordan wrote:2) went down to #3 Replace
5) Un-Selected all the files in the directory and used used "ctrl - hold - click " and selected 4 - rename is still grayed out[/size]

As both Emerkamp and myself have pointed out you should not be putting the . after (mobi) or (epub), nor should you be putting a . in the With box.

BRU does not affect the file extension it only renames the file-name before the extension, for instance if you have a file with the extension .mobi only the name before .mobi will be affected, BRU treats the . as part of the file extension.

1. In the Replace box put (mobi).
  2. Leave the With box empty.
  3. Select all the files.
The files with (mobi) in the file-name should now turn green in the "New Name" column and the rename button should now work.

The fact that the rename button remains greyed out is not because of a fault with BRU it's because of your mistake, the Rename button will only work when you have a valid rename process and the file-names in the "New Name" column have turned green.
KenP

Postby msjordan » Sun May 07, 2017 9:10 pm

KenP and Emercamp

You will pardon my lack of understanding
It didn't occur to me that a renaming program would be designed and coded not allow the user to edit anything in the file name including the ext period. The 3 other programs I have used allowed me access to all sections of the file name

and yes that did solve the issue

Thank you for your help
msjordan

Postby KenP » Sun May 07, 2017 9:28 pm

The file extension is not included by default, but if you go "Renaming Options / Ignore / File Extensions" and tick File Extensions the file extensions become part of the renaming process.

Most programs have their little idiosyncrasies but when they get used to the way BRU works most people like it :wink:
KenP

Return to BRU Support