EXIF date/time wrong after changing with Exifer

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

EXIF date/time wrong after changing with Exifer

Postby Kikaida » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:24 am

Hello,

I am having a problem with BRU incorrectly renaming files when using EXIF data "Taken" that I changed (due to difference in timezone) using Exifer. :(

The problem I am having is that BRU is using the original time/date, NOT the new info that was changed with Exifer. Windows is correctly showing the updated info when looking at the property details of the pics.

I am using BRU 2,6,0,1 and Exifer 2.1.5 (Build 263) under 32 bit Vista.

I do have the Options | Extract | Exif data selected.

I have found a temporary workaround by using the "Off. (set?)" option, but that only allows me to change the name in 1 hour increments. This is okay, but not optimal as I also corrected for my clock being off by 6 min :shock: on my camera (didn't realize it was off until comparing to other cameras). :oops:
Kikaida

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:36 am

BRU lumps together "DATE TIME", "DATE TIME DIGITIZED" and "DATE TIME ORIGINAL". Some cameras/programs update some dates, other cameras/programs update all dates, some edting programs update one of the dates, some files contain none of the dates.....it's a nightmare!

BRU treats them all the same. So, if your file contained DATE TIME and then DATE TIME DIGITIZED, it's the later one which would be effective.

It would help to know what you've chanegd in the files - I've head of Exifer but I haven't actually used it (I use ACDSee) so I'm not sure which of the three dates it will have changed.

Jim

Edit: if you can point me to an "accepted" method of prioritising these dates then I'll gladly adapt BRU.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kikaida » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:45 am

Hmmm... You are correct, Exifer only updated the "Date Taken" field, and not the "Date Digitized".

Oops! Now I see the checkbox to modify both fields! I didn't realize there was a difference! :oops:

Mahalo! :D
Kikaida

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:20 am

EXIF fields are a nightmare. I'm not saying that BRU does it correctly, but I'm not sure what "correctly" actually means. I'm sure there will be a specification document somewhere :-)

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support