File selection based on being able to see images?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

File selection based on being able to see images?

Postby BRUsky » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi,
New here. I used File Renamer from Sherrod for years and just got through checking out Advanced Renamer.
I find their lack of development and/or severely understaffed/dispassionate support (official or forum) off-putting. So, I'm gonna give BRU a whirl.

Question:
There doesn't seem to be the ability to select image files while simultaneously being able to see what they are as they are selected from the file list?
There is the image previewer pane, but once you select one file based on what you see, ctrl+next select shows nothing in the previewer.

Why isn't the file list checkbox based like other programs of the same ilk? It would probably help with the above issue.
Or, is there a way to enable that and I'm just a blind fool? :wink:
BRUsky

Re: File selection based on being able to see images?

Postby Admin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:26 am

Hi, welcome to the BRU forum.
At the moment, if you use ctrl-next the file list selection is not updated, and the picture is not shown in the preview. Only using next / prev updates the picture in the preview.
thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BRUsky » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:08 pm

Well, that is sad news for image renamers like myself who rename and tag filenames beyond just a few terms like "people" and "blue" and therefore need to see while selecting
the images to make decisions on uniqueness. It's a very limited design for the selecting of the files to be inherent to loading them. Loading them and selecting them should be two
different functions. As mentioned, checkboxes would likely solve that problem, as you would have the ability to move on to a different file after separately selecting a previous
one.

It's kinda funny because File Renamer (by Sherrod and used by NASA) and Andvanced Renamer (one person indie with what has to be the simplest possible forum design you can
choose for a website) both have this functionality. Both ends of the spectrum ("big company" and the "mom and pop" little guy) seem to be gettin' in on the action.
Anyway, here's to stepping up your game and wishing you the best in future development. And wereas I don't plan on completely abandoning BRU, I'll have to move on (or back to)
when it comes to renaming images.

Thanks for the info and the quick response! :)
BRUsky

Postby Admin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:47 am

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Question: why are you using ctrl+down ctrl+up instead of just down and up to move to the next / prev file? thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BRUsky » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:26 am

Admin wrote:Hi, thanks for the feedback. Question: why are you using ctrl+down ctrl+up instead of just down and up to move to the next / prev file? thanks

By "next" in ctrl+next I just meant to select the next file in a mult-select scenario. I was actually using the mouse for selecting. Without the checkboxes, the only way I could
test what I'm suggesting is to attempt a multi-select, holding down ctrl while selecting/delselecting individual files.

So, ideally, one should be able to "check select" and "select the name of the file" to view it without loosing the selection if moving away from it to select another file
for viewing.

I actually prefer the image design of Advanced Renamer, where it shows image and image info at the bottom of frame rather than the annoyingly
"detached" pane of BRU (see related issue here).

Thanks for enquiring :)
BRUsky

Return to BRU Support