Help renaming files - add text to file names

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Help renaming files - add text to file names

Postby tpdietz » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:23 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but I thought this app would be intuitive, but obviously, I'm missing something. I have a list of files all ending in .sql. What I want to do is to change them all so that they end with <filename>_S.sql. So, FILE1.sql would be renamed to FILE1_S.sql, all within the same folder. What I have tried is numerous, but I thought it should be very obvious to do the following:

select folder where files are (files are listed)
select all files
uncheck all options except Replace
inside Replace do the following:
REPLACE: *.sql
WITH: *_S.sql
click Rename

Not only does nothing look different in the New Name column, the Rename button doesn't enable. I guess that's because the app doesn't show any changes yet.

Can anyone help with this, or am I trying to do something that this app isn't supposed to do?

Thanks.
tpdietz

Re: Help renaming files

Postby KenP » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:45 pm

What yo're trying to do can be done very easily in BRU, you just need to learn the programmes features :wink:

By default BRU doesn't include the file extension in the renaming process.

The easiest way to do what you want in my opinion is:

Add (7)
Suffix: _S
    (This will add _S to the end of the file name immediately before the file extension, so filesname.sql becomes filename_S.sql)

If you want to include the file extension in the renaming process go to "Renaming Options" on the menu bar and select "Ignore / File Extensions"

Then you can use Replace (3)

Replace (3)
Replace: .sql
With: _S.sql
KenP

Re: Help renaming files

Postby tpdietz » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Thank you for that very clear explanation and not one, but two ways to do it! It now does exactly what I wanted it to do.

I'm just stick in linux mode where I would just do: mv *.sql *_S.sql to do what I wanted.

Thanks again.
tpdietz

Return to BRU Support