Case Multiple Edits

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Case Multiple Edits

Postby kirby1fan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:50 pm

Hello,

I have a list of files (songs) that I want to rename. I want every word except for the unimportant words (like: a, an, the, of, to etc.) to start with a capitol (Title option in the Case(4) section), but I can't figure out how to add multiple "separate" words to the exception list. Is there a way, or do I have to do it manually?

Thanks
-Jeff
kirby1fan

Re: Case Multiple Edits

Postby therube » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Exceptions: You can also enter a list of "exceptions", separated by colons. So for example if you entered PHP:ASP:doc then any occurrence of php or ASP (or pHP or aSp) would be converted to upper-case, and every occurrence of DOC (or DoC) would become doc.

Code: Select all
a:an:the:of:to
therube

Postby kirby1fan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:55 pm

therube wrote:
Exceptions: You can also enter a list of "exceptions", separated by colons. So for example if you entered PHP:ASP:doc then any occurrence of php or ASP (or pHP or aSp) would be converted to upper-case, and every occurrence of DOC (or DoC) would become doc.

Code: Select all
a:an:the:of:to

Thank you for that. I was unaware of the colons (:) and how they were used here. It worked for the most part, but now I have run into an issue because of it. As an example let's say I have a filename "The Boy And A Dog Ran Away.mp3" (I don't have this exact file, but I have a similar case). When I apply the code "a:and" it then changes the filename to "The Boy and a Dog Ran away.mp3". It lowercases the "a" in "away" which I do not want it to touch. If I remove the "a" in the code then "Away" remains uppercase, but so does the "A" (before "Dog").

Is there a way around this?

Thank you and thank you again for your reply before.
kirby1fan

Postby Panchdara » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:23 am

Try this without quotes " a : an : the : of : to : and "

edit: Image
Panchdara

Postby therube » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:42 pm

So "a" matches a character (or "and" matches a character string), & " a " matches a space delimited character (and " and " matches a space delimited string.)

I never would have guessed that.

I would have expected :a:and: to match a "wholeword" (i.e. space-like delimited) "a" and "and".
So at the least " a " and " and " or maybe even "_a_" and "_and_" or similar.

Good one, Panchdara.
therube

Postby Panchdara » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:14 pm

therube wrote:So "a" matches a character (or "and" matches a character string), & " a " matches a space delimited character (and " and " matches a space delimited string.)

I never would have guessed that.

I would have expected :a:and: to match a "wholeword" (i.e. space-like delimited) "a" and "and".
So at the least " a " and " and " or maybe even "_a_" and "_and_" or similar.

Good one, Panchdara.

It's a literal character/string to ignore in this case. Nice thing about BRU is the interactive nature. (Still looking forward to screen real-estate issues being addressed by developer)...
Panchdara

Return to BRU Support