How do I number files based on the order I selected?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

How do I number files based on the order I selected?

Postby Faze » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:38 am

Hi, does anyone know how I get my files numbered in the order of which I select them? Example, I select a file in the middle of a list of files. I want that to have a prefix of 01-. Then I select a file further up and want it to have a prefix of 02-. Then I select a file somewhere between those and want it to have a prefix of 03-. The result I get is the top selection is 01-, the middle selection is 02- and the lower one is 03-. I want it numbered in the order I selected not in order from top to bottom.
Example of my list:
blablabla.mp4
blablabla.mp4
interface.mp4 -my 2nd selection
blablabla.mp4
lesson 1.mp4 -my 3rd selection
blablabla.mp4
blablabla.mp4
welcome.mp4 -my 1st selection
blablabla.mp4
blablabla.mp4
etc

the result I want is:
01-welcome.mp4
02-interface.mp4
03-lesson 1.mp4
etc

The result I am getting is:
01-interface.mp4
02-lesson 1.mp4
03-welcome.mp4
etc

Anyone know what I'm missing to make this happens? I did get it to do it before every time but that was a while ago so I don't know the settings I used. I've checked the manual, YouTube and Google but could not find the answer. Thanks
Faze

Re: How do I number files based on the order I selected?

Postby charvista » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:27 pm

Hi, I am myself a new user in BRU.
What you are asking is not a bulk rename, but a selective rename.
The best way is to move the files you want to rename to a temporary folder, rename them there, and then move them back to the original folder.
And while you are renaming them, if the order is not following a logical sequence, such as alphabetically or by date, then I fear that you need to do it manually.
charvista

Return to BRU Support