a little help with a rename requirement please

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

a little help with a rename requirement please

Postby codiak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:09 am

Hello.

I am new here after stumbling upon BRU while searching for a solution to my problem.

I have 1000's of PST files that need to be renamed to conform with a specific naming format to that they can be ingested to an archive.

the first step (for me ) is a manual process of selecting groups of files and changing the name from AUser_1.pst to their email address -AUser@domain.co.uk.
At the moment I have users from about 3 or 4 different domains. Where there are multiple file spits the _1 is incremented _2 _3 etc. So I would in this case select all the file splits, refer to my list and rename in windows producing the followingAUser@domain.com (1).pst - (2).pst etc.

What I would like to so is get BRU to remove the space, bracket, number, bracket. Then place a dot then an incrementing number so - end result beingAUser@domain.co.ul.pst.1 ... pst.2 .... .pst.3 for each file split.

Is this possible?

So for clarity -AUser@domain.co.uk (1).pst would becomeAUser@domain.co.uk.pst.1

I do hope that makes sense :)

Thank you in advance.

PS
I do have a plan B that involves a directory listing to text file, then into excel and use that to produce the commands for a rename batch file.
The cell drag function will then increment the last number of the filename per file group I would have to do manually.
codiak

Re: a little help with a rename requirement please

Postby codiak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:17 pm

OK seems there was a misunderstanding - need to convert userAUser@domain.co.uk (1).pst to becomeAUser@domain.co.uk.1.pst
codiak

Re: a little help with a rename requirement please

Postby codiak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:12 pm

its ok I have worked it out - remove () and a space - replace co.uk with co.uk. - sorted :)
codiak

Return to BRU Support