BRU crashes, can not use! (Windows 10)

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

BRU crashes, can not use! (Windows 10)

Postby bitsbybeck » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 am

Bulk Rename Utility 64-bit has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
Close program

Uninstalled and reinstalled twice no changes.

Windows 10 Pro

Attempting to select a folder causes BRU to read the first file, displays it in the working window, (only the first file in the folder even if there are others of the same and different extensions) Error box opens and the only option is to shut down the program.

I have tried different folders, different drives, different file types. Nothing works, all cause the program to crash.

Selecting and dragging from explorer crashes the program with nothing displayed in the working window.
I have searched the forum and found similar issues, but no resolutions.
I don't want to learn a new program! Please can somebody help?
bitsbybeck

Re: BRU crashes, can not use!

Postby BurnerSanders » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:16 pm

Hello. :-)

I just happened to see this after posting my issue and thought I would offer some feedback on my installation. When I went from W7 to W10 (an upgrade, not a fresh install) I had nothing but problems with 85% of my software. Various issues: windows opening in "minimized mode" with no way to resize them, random crashes, compatibility issues, permission problems though I am and admin on this machine, etc. The only thing that fixed those issues was a fresh install of W10, but I know that is not fun (it wasn't for me but it fixed everything). So in case that is not an option...

Have you looked into any of the compatibility settings in the program? You can find this by right-clicking on the program icon and choosing "Properties", then choosing the "Compatibility" tab, then selecting an older version of Windows from the dropdown menu (maybe start with W7). If it helps, I am running BRU version 2.7.1.3 with no issues.

Lastly, in that same Compatibility tab is a checkbox to "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". I doubt this is the problem, but try that out and uncheck it if it doesn't make a difference.

I realize most of those are the basic options one might find when troubleshooting the issue, but hopefully something there will get you going again. Good luck! Hope it starts working for you again.
BurnerSanders

Postby bitsbybeck » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:23 am

I sincerely appreciate your input, however after trying your suggestions BRU still will not run! ARGGG!
Compatibility issue check
Window 10 installation Fresh install check

I do not know what else to try.

Thanks again, going to try and find another program.... ARGGGG!
bitsbybeck

Postby BurnerSanders » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:17 pm

You are very welcome. I am sorry that nothing seemed to help but I do hope you are able to find something that works on your machine. This software has been a lifesaver for me so I can see the importance of having a version that works. Good luck to you!
BurnerSanders

Postby bitsbybeck » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:58 pm

Tried using another product....Just not as good! Anyway installed BRU on my laptop and I get the exact same error message. So BRU is not compatible with windows 10? Is this the issue? I don't use the Laptop often because it is hard to read...(old eyes).
bitsbybeck

Postby Admin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:06 am

Yes, BRU is compatible with Win 10. What build of Win 10 are you using? thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby bitsbybeck » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Hey so sorry missed your post I will try to check back more often :)
I am running 10.0.16299 Build 16299.
Can not add the system info text file....I will run BRU and then check the system info again to see the error message contained in the system file.
Thank you so much for your response. I don't use the BRU everyday but when I need to it is wonderful!
bitsbybeck

Postby Robert_Bl » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:27 pm

I had the same problem today.
Yesterday BRU worked fine, today it crashed each time I tried to list files in a folder.
In the compatibility tap of the properties I checked the "Run as administrator" and suddenly it worked again.
I went back to the properties and unchecked the "Run as administrator" and now it still works as before.
I have no clue what happened but BRU works again as before.
I guess it confirms the statement "Microsoft software works in mysterious ways" :wink:
Robert_Bl

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:21 am

Thanks, this could help us finding the problem! It seems that running once as admin fixed the issue.
have a couple of questions:
- do you install BRU or do you just run the .exe from the "No-Installer" download?
- in which folder is BRU installed?
- is the account you run BRU under on windows a main accnt or guest? e.g. when you selected "run as administrator" di you have to use a different account or same?

thanks!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby bitsbybeck » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:10 am

Running as admin does not help me....drat....was hoping it was that easy.
Answers: Installed from installer
Program saved in Programs 86
Today I uninstalled BRU, using the BRU uninstall app. Did a scan with Advanced System Care found 2 folders left behind, deleted them.
Rebooted. Downloaded new installer and the zip file.
Used the zip file, unzipped to new folder both All and 64 named it BRU w 2 sub folders 64-bit and All.
Ran program by double clicking in the 64-bit folder the exe.
AND as administrator. Same results, program opens and once a folder/drive/file is selected it displays then immediately goes into the Windows error message reporting.

Ran installer.
Same results.

Thank you for your response.
bitsbybeck

Postby bitsbybeck » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:48 pm

Any suggestions anyone....this occurs on my laptop too. Same scenario. Thanks for any help.
bitsbybeck

Postby Sunblocker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:50 am

+1

Was working a couple days ago but now crashes every time I try to select a folder.

The only recent update I have installed is Intel Management Engine Interface driver - 10 [64] - V.11.7.0.1054 but I can't remember if I had the problem before that or not.
Sunblocker

Postby Admin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:37 am

Hi, we have installed a fresh Windows 10 and updated it to 1709 with all the updates installed as of 16-Feb-2018.We then have installed a fresh BRU 3.0.0.1
We noticed that indeed for some folders on the C:\ drive (when the 'subfolders scanning option' was activated in BRU), BRU would hang. In order to recreate the issue for development, we kept trying the same folder, one folder creating the issue was for example, C:\Windows.old\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft
shared\Stationery and the files causing the issue were the .htm files present in there. Actually, navigating with Windows Explorer to the same folder and right-clicking on one of the HTM files would hang Windows Explorer too....
But then, to our surprise, it all started working again. The same folders that would cause BRU and Windows Explorer to hang , now they are working fine and we did not change anything. The problems looks to have fixed itself after a few tries....?... Are you seeing the same?

thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Re: BRU crashes, can not use! (Windows 10)

Postby bensontrent » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:36 pm

I noticed the same issue in Windows Explorer-- the problem folder wasn't showing the image thumbnails in Windows Explorer and Bulk Rename Utility would crash when browsing to this folder full of images (jpgs). I reset the settings for image thumbnails in Performance and Appearance settings and restarted Explorer from the task manager: BRU still crashed. Restarted my computer: didn't work. Held the power button for 4 seconds to do a hard reset on the computer: Works! GREAT program btw!
bensontrent

Re: BRU crashes, can not use! (Windows 10)

Postby Admin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:19 pm

We suspect this to be a transient Win 10 update issue, because the problem manifests itself for some in BRU but also in Windows Explorer.
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to BRU Support