Moving/copying only files that have been renamed

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Moving/copying only files that have been renamed

Postby BurnerSanders » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:17 pm

I am using this software to rename student photos that have come to us in the wrong numbering format. I have been able to export a list that matches the incorrect numbers to the correct ones and use the "Import Pairs" feature, however; not all of the photos have a corresponding correct number. I have used the "Move" option to move edited photos to a new folder, but even unchanged files are getting moved to this folder. I want to separate the fixed photos from the unchanged photos during or after the renaming process. It's difficult to tell just by looking at the number whether a photo has been changed or not, and the renaming process does not (to my knowledge) change the "Date Modified" property of the file so I cannot use a date sort to grab only the changed files.

Are there any features in the name change options that will help me out in this situation? I can select all and then manually ctrl-click the ones that are not color-coded so that they are skipped, but that becomes too tedious and time-consuming when dealing with multiple schools. Any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time as well as this very handy tool!
BurnerSanders

Re: Moving/copying only files that have been renamed

Postby BurnerSanders » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:09 pm

Update:

I was able to accomplish what I needed by adjusting the concatenate formula in Excel to include "A-" as part of the renaming process for the "correct" number. In doing so, only the matches were affected and given the extra characters. What this allowed me to do was separate the ones with this additional label from the unedited numbers and move them to a new folder. Afterwards, I just used BRU again to remove the "A-" and set the numbers back to the correct format.

I hope this helps someone who is trying to accomplish something similar.
BurnerSanders

Return to BRU Support