BRU has started hanging, causing Windows Explorer to crash

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

BRU has started hanging, causing Windows Explorer to crash

Postby Marty32 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:01 am

I have been using BRU 3.0.0.1 on Windows 10 Home 64-bit for a bit over a year now with no problems, however when I opened it today it suddenly no longer worked.
When opening a folder that contains files, the program will hang indefinitely. This happens whether I use the file tree, whether I paste the folder location into the address box, or if I change the program shortcut so it opens directly to the desired folder.
Since I last used the program I have installed the program PureRef, however after uninstalling that the problem persists.
I have found a number of threads about the same problem, and none of the given fixes worked. The problem persisted after reinstalling it.

Notably, one of the fixes said to reinstall with the checkbox selected to add the Windows Explorer extension. I did this, however it caused the problem to extend to Explorer. If I selected more than one image file, then Explorer would hang and crash. Similarly it would crash if I tried copying an image file.
It would not do this on other file types.
The problem persisted even after uninstalling BRU, however restarting my computer seems to have fixed it.
Has anyone figured out what might be causing this? Also, should I be worried about Explorer crashing even after uninstalling BRU? I have only just restarted my computer so I am unsure if that problem is definitely gone.
Marty32

Re: BRU has started hanging, causing Windows Explorer to crash

Postby manky » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:40 pm

In the interest of confirmation, I am also having an issue with hanging when I try to expand a drive tree. Was working last week. I will do a diagnostic start and see if that helps. I'll report back if anything seems to help. *** forgot to mention that when I click the drive letter on the tree, the elevator bar moves slightly as if the directory had expanded, but the tree window does not show the expanded directory.

***update**

Safe mode did not help

I can expand the boot drive.
I can expand a usb thumb drive

Trying to expand either of my two internal storage drives causes a hang. Program becomes unresponsive and I have to kill it with task manger.

I am running it as an administrator. I am running a fresh install from a new installer downloaded after the problem, began.

I have run it in compatibility mode for Vista, 7, and 8 with no success... same behavior.

I have not installed any new applications between now and the last time it worked. Some applications may have updated automatically. Windows update manager reports that the only thing that has updated recently is a security patch for flash. **Uninstalling the flash update did not help.

I have run the 32 bit version from the "no-installer" archive. Same problem.
manky

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:12 am

Hello, Windows 10 too? thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:38 am

Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support