Working with Large Directory Trees

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Working with Large Directory Trees

Postby rjemery » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:35 pm

I am using BRU 2.4.3.0 on a W98 system. I am working with a tree structure containing 90,000 files.

1) Once a directory scan has been initiated, how can it be stopped?

2) Given a directory scan in progress, and I have come to realize that my Filter regular expression is not correct, how can I restart the scan after I have altered that regular expression?

3) Is it possible to select only certain branches of a directory tree upon which BRU is to act?

4) What is the difference between "refresh files" and "refresh tree"?
rjemery

Postby Admin » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:58 pm

Hi there,

1) Once a directory scan has been initiated, how can it be stopped?

Simply click a different folder. It will cancel the scanning thread and start a new one (so click a smaller folder!). I've toyed with the idea of displaying a window after 2 or 3 seconds on long-running scans, but have yet to implement it.

2) Given a directory scan in progress, and I have come to realize that my Filter regular expression is not correct, how can I restart the scan after I have altered that regular expression?

From my fading memory, the filter isn't a regular expression, just a straightforward filte (e.g. *.doc or AB*.*)

3) Is it possible to select only certain branches of a directory tree upon which BRU is to act?

No, only by choosing a specific starting point. If you've got a mass rename to do then just move the folders to a common parent and then move them back.

4) What is the difference between "refresh files" and "refresh tree"?

Tree is the left pane, e.g. detect new folders etc. Files is the right pane.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby rjemery » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:35 pm

If Filter under Selections (12) does not accept regular expressions, then why does a specification like:

name1-name2 (

match every filename in the 90,000 file tree structure? Since every filename therein contains at least one blank character, I figured such a Filter spec was being interpreted as a regular expression.
rjemery

Postby Admin » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:14 pm

I'm not sure whay that is matching, I would need to debug it. But the code is definitely just expecting a standard DOS filter.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support