Removing Characters From Files

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Removing Characters From Files

Postby rjemery » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:37 am

I am using BRU 2.4.3.0 on a W98 system.

Since Filter in "Selections (12)" only accepts DOS wild cards and not regular expressions, I need to delete the last character via "Remove (5)" at the end of the filename for only those files which will be changed by that which is specified in the "Repl (3)" section.

Example: field1-field2-field3 identifier
Gets Changed to: field1-field9-field3 identifie

How might I do that?

I cannot express in Filter using DOS wild cards what I would need to express via regular expressions to match only those files that the "Repl (3)" and "Remove (5)" sections would then act upon.
rjemery

Postby Admin » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:31 am

Assuming this is a one-off exercise, why not:

1) Tick the Group Affected Files option
2) Set your initial criteria (e.g. Repl(3)).
3) Highlight all the files, and then sort by a column - this will group all the ones with new names together
4) Finally, add your new criteria (Box 5) and then select only the files which were affected - they will all be grouped nicely together.

Jim

PS Windows 98? Really?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby rjemery » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:56 am

Because of the number of files involved, I'm not sure how practical that procedure will be, but I will give it a try.

It is not a one-off thing. I find the lack of a regular expression Filter to be BRU's Achilles' heel.

PS Windows 98? Really?

Yes, really.
rjemery

Postby KHL » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:00 am

rjemery wrote:I find the lack of a regular expression Filter to be BRU's Achilles' heel.

Hi,

though this one specific option is missing, and though Jim has given you at least a manual procedure to resolve this, don't you think it's a bit abusive to call this missing option "BRU's Achilles' heel"???

Please think about all the features BRU already offers for FREE!
There is NO tool available anywhere else, that lets you do so many renaming operations at once. And please remember how fast Jim usually supports questions or implements new functions. I just don't think it's fair at all to use the phrase "Achilles' heel".
For my side, I'm not afraid in applying more than one renaming processes, if I'm unable to resolve my wishes with just a single operation.

Cheers
Karl
KHL

Postby rjemery » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:14 pm

KHL wrote:don't you think it's a bit abusive to call this missing option "BRU's Achilles' heel"???

It wasn't intended as an abusive comment. Merely a statement of fact. Sorry you or Jim took it as such.
rjemery

Postby Admin » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:10 pm

No worries. It something I have considered adding, and it might be added in the future, but I'm afraid at the moment it's a simple DOS pattern match.

90% of the users of BRU haven't a clue what a RegExp is, so it's never been high on the list.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support