How can I keep files sorted by date when renaming by folder?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

How can I keep files sorted by date when renaming by folder?

Postby paulaob » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:16 am

Hi

Please, I need help with this renaming problem.

I want to rename files from several subfolders by date.

So I select files and subfolders (12) and set Append folder name (9) and Numbering (10) with "Folder" activated.

Then I sort files by "Sub Dir." and refresh by pressing F5.

Then I click rename and files get renamed by folder but they don't keep the modified date order inside each subfolder.

I mean, all files are correctly renamed by folder and subfolder but they don't keep and incremental number from older to new file by date inside each subfolder. Files from 2018 can get first than 2017 files that are older.

How can I keep files sorted from old to new while renaming by folder and subfolders?

Thanks.

Paul
paulaob

Re: How can I keep files sorted by date when renaming by folder?

Postby therube » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:02 pm

Not really sure what you're saying there, but have a look at, FolderTimeUpdate.
FolderTimeUpdate is a simple tool for Windows that scans all files and folders under the base folder you choose, and updates the 'Modified Time' of every folder according the latest modified time of the files stored in it.

This tool might be useful if, for example, you backup a cluster of folders and then restore them into another disk, but the backup program doesn't restore the original modified time of the folders.
therube

Postby paulaob » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:34 am

therube wrote:Not really sure what you're saying there, but have a look at, FolderTimeUpdate.
FolderTimeUpdate is a simple tool for Windows that scans all files and folders under the base folder you choose, and updates the 'Modified Time' of every folder according the latest modified time of the files stored in it.

This tool might be useful if, for example, you backup a cluster of folders and then restore them into another disk, but the backup program doesn't restore the original modified time of the folders.

Hi

Not useful but thanks anyway. :)

If anybody knows how to rename files by subfolders and keeping the files order by modified date inside each subfolder I will be very thankful.

Thanks.

Paul
paulaob

Postby Emerkamp » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:55 am

Hi,

After you have (12) Selection = Subfolders , and files, both ticked, You should be able to just select The date at the top of date collum.
Just like win explorer in details mode.
Emerkamp

Postby paulaob » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:06 am

Emerkamp wrote:Hi,

After you have (12) Selection = Subfolders , and files, both ticked, You should be able to just select The date at the top of date collum.
Just like win explorer in details mode.

Hi

I do, but as you can see if I sort by modified date I get repeated filenames. Notice I have "Folder" enabled on Numbering (10).

And if I sort by Sub Dir. I get files not sorted by their modified dates so some 2017 get before 2016 files inside the same subfolder.

There must be an option or I must be doing something wrong. :(

Thanks for your help.

Paul
paulaob

Postby Emerkamp » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi,

I do, but as you can see if I sort by modified date I get repeated filenames. Notice I have "Folder" enabled on Numbering (10).

I see, Im' not sure how your getting double names in the same subfolder. Esp. if you have the counter set to Break / Reset at end of each folder.
Sometimes you need to un-tick/tick the counter after sorting for it to renumber correct.

i'm not totaly understanding what your trying to do here. As in the "Start to Final" name you want.

Only other thing I can think to do is include the date in the name somewhere, then delete it when finished.
Or get things in order, how you are wanting. Then apply a Non-Reset counter to the name. Then go back and remove it.
Emerkamp

Return to BRU Support