Problems with the Timestamp dialog

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Problems with the Timestamp dialog

Postby rob » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:54 pm

I'm facing the following problems when using the Timestamp dialog (2.6.1.0):

1. After selecting one or more files, when I invoke the Timestamp dialog (Ctrl+F4) I get an error window saying "El parámetro no es correcto" (I'm using a Spanish version of WinXP). Translation is probably not needed 8)

2. The dialog doesn't correspond fully to the information in the help file, so I'm unsure how to use the Delta function. For example what purpose does the field over the "Negative" box serve? Clicking Up doesn't do anything but clicking Down increments the the current value. :?

3. A strange "D" appears within the Date Created box, under the text "Same as Modified".

4. If I set the Delta value to e.g. 00:00:01, the date/time of the selected file(s) change from 22/09/2007 18:53:50 to 13/06/2045 16:53:51. It's amazing what a second can do! :)

Another general observation is that BRU doesn't seem to store the current settings within the current user's settings folder. For example, I had to use an admin account to prevent the Hint and Tips dialog from appearing each time I launch BRU using my non-admin account.
rob

Postby Admin » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:10 pm

Hi,

Somebody else reported the "Parameter is incorrect" message. However I'm unable to recreate it on XP or Vista, so it's nigh-on impossible to identify where this is coming from. Though I suspect this is the cause of your 2045 issue.

The box above Negative is Delta days.

The strange D has already been removed in my own build, and will be included in the next release. In fact the whole dialog layout has been reformatted to include some new stuff.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:18 pm

If you (or anyone) is able to help me fix this "Parameter is incorrect" problem then please let me know. I can send you a debug-enabled .EXE that will write time-stamped info to a log file.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby KHL » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:03 am

Jim,

I'm glad I can help other than with money...
We germans often feel the only thing we can do to fix problems all over the world is picking our chequebooks...

So please send me your debug file. But I'm afraid I won't be able to test it during the day but need to install it at home.

What I can already say is, this bug definitely seems to be independent on the processor. It appears at three machines I'm using:
1.4 GHz Pentium M
2.0 GHz Core2 Duo
AMD Athlon 2500+
All these run with XPSP2

Cheers
Karl
Last edited by KHL on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KHL

Postby Admin » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:56 am

Ok, please download the new .EXE here: http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Files/BRUDebug.zip

When you get the "parameter is incorrect" error, please DO NOT acknowledge the dialog immediatly, please wait at least one minute before proceeding. This will cause a nice delay between the timestamped debug lines, and will help me work out which line is generating the error.

Then email me the files in your C:\ folder all called Debug-*.txt

We might have to iterate through this a few times....

Many thanks,

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby KHL » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:23 pm

Jim,

the first set of Debug-files is on its way.
Explanation see mail.

Karl
KHL

Same problem here

Postby Bob L. » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:02 pm

Hi Jim - I just found your renaming program and I love it.

I am having the same problem with timestamp. My system is running XP SP2 and I would be willing to help debug this problem.

If you need more help, please ask...

Thanks

Bob L.
Bob L.

Timestamp problem

Postby Bob L. » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:25 pm

Hi - Just a thought - could this problem be caused by differences in the default system time and/or date formats?

(Since your having trouble re-creating the problem and we see it - maybe our systems are configured differently...)

Just a thought...
Bob L.

Timestamp problem

Postby Bob L. » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:46 pm

Hi - Just tried the beta (2.6.1.1) - have the same problem with adjusting the timestamp of jpg files. ("Incorrect parameter" error msg) :cry:
Bob L.

Postby Admin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:03 pm

What's your timezone?

I've had a user in USA (-5) report that the beta works - and it should! I'm setting a parameter to 01/01/1970, the minimum value recognised, but of course in other timezones that leads to a date in 1969. So I'm now using 02/01/1970 - and nowhere on the planet is more than 24 hours ahead/behind GMT so that should work.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Timestamp problem

Postby Bob L. » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:14 am

I am in the US EDT, GMT - 4 (daylight savings)

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I still can not get timestamp to work. A screen snapshot of the error is available at http://www.tase.com/error.png

Here are my steps to create error:
1. Open BRU and select folder
2. Select three files in folder
3. Enter replace text values (replace "Picture" with "PlusTwoHours")

4. Click on Options / Timestamp
5. Click "Delta" radio button
6. Reduce "7:00:00" to "2:00:00" with down button

7. Click "Negative" check box
8. Click OK button and error appears

(I verified that this is version 2.6.1.1 that I am using)

What do you think I am doing wrong?

Bob
Bob L.

Postby Admin » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:47 am

I'm not really sure. I've got my test VPC configured with US date format and -4 timezone, and I still cannot recreate the problem. I'll work on it a bit longer, but at the moment I'm fighting a losing battle.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Timestamp problem

Postby Bob L. » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:58 pm

Hi Jim -

This may help -

1. Changing my Time Zone to GMT clears up all problems - everything works fine

2. Changing back to GMT-5 has strange results.
- time changes incorrectly or
- "incorrect parameter" error message

3. Here is how to recreate these symptoms:
a. Set time zone to GMT
b. Open BRU, select a file and open timestamp
c. Make sure each Delta time is set to 0 days and 12:00:00 then
d. Set all three to No Change (with time in Delta at 0 and 12:00:00)
e. Close BRU

f. Change time zone to GMT-5
g. Open BRU, select a file and open timestamp
h. In Date Created, reduce 07:00:00 to 01:00:00 - Click OK
i. This should change file's time but not by the correct amount

j. Reopen timestamp
k. In Date Modified, reduce 07:00:00 to 06:00:00 - Click OK
l. This invokes the "incorrect parameter" error (only when you
decrease the time increment) same thing with Date Accessed

I hope this helps.

Bob
Bob L.

Postby Admin » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:11 pm

Nope, I'm still drawing a blank :-( I cannot get the error to appear at all, even following the steps.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Timestamp problem

Postby Bob L. » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:32 am

Well, I confused. The symptoms I described happen on three XP pro systems and one XP home system. There must be another variable involved.

Maybe a video of the errors would help. Here are two:
http://www.tase.com/time.swf shows the incorrect time change
http://www.tase.com/error.swf shows both the parameter error and time change problem

If this don't help, maybe I'll build a fresh XP as a UK system and see if I can duplicate your results.

Bob
Bob L.

Next

Return to BRU Support