Problems with the Timestamp dialog

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Postby Admin » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:11 am

Would you mind trying the latest beta, uploaded yesterday, to see if anything is fixed? I've played around a little with the settings.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Timestamp

Postby Bob L. » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:27 pm

Hi Jim -

:( Sorry - same results ( http://www.tase.com/error2.swf )

If you could bear with me for one more request.

Could you uninstall BRU (and delete ini in program files\bulk rename utility), set your time zone to -5 and install BRU using the defaults.

When you open timestamp on the new install, you should see all three delta times as 0 days and 07:00:00. Please try what I did in the video and let me know if you see the same problem.

Thanks for your patience.

Bob
Bob L.

Postby Admin » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:19 pm

Hi Bob,

Yes, I see the times as 07:00:00, but I expect that.

The screen fields are initialsied with a CTime variable, and CTime gets initialised with a local time. So I initialise it with 01/01/1971 00:00:00. Windows then converts this to your timezone by subtracting 5 hours from it.

I was previously initialising to 1970, but when the -5 was applied it caused the date to fall below 01/01/1970, hence the error.

Following your notes I see the 07:00:00 which I expect, but I don't get the error.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Timestamp

Postby Bob L. » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:39 pm

Hi Jim -

Thanks for trying. I guess I'll just shift my time zone when I want to alter timestamps.

By-the-way, did the videos play OK for you?

Bob
Bob L.

Postby Admin » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:04 pm

Yes they played fine.

I've not given up on this, I hope to pin in down somehow,

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:33 pm

Ok, I can recreate the problem.....but can find no way to fix it!

I hold the delta time field on the screen as a CTime value. It shows values in local time.

I also use the same value to make the delta adjustment. So, if the CTime value is 3600 then 3600 seconds (e.g. one hour) gets added to the datestamp. The problem occurs because CTime expects values in local time, but it then converts the values internally to UTC time and validates them. In your case it subtracts 5 hours. If you have specified to adjust the timestamp by LESS THAN 5 hours, the CTime value becomes negative, and Windows throws the error.

So, I can recreate it. But having tried everything I can think of, I still cannot get anything which works properly. So I'm stumped!

Jim

PS This is also why your times default to 19:00:00. When you have no .INI file the value is zero, and I pass Zero to this field. But Windows assumes this is to be shown in local time so it subtracts 5 hours.
Admin
Site Admin

Timestamp

Postby Bob L. » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:32 pm

Hooray! Being able to reproduce the problem is half the battle. I'm sending you $20.00 USD via paypal to keep up your strength.

(Given the exchange rate of the US dollar, this might be enough to buy you a pint. :D )

Good luck.

Bob
Bob L.

Postby Admin » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:36 am

There's nothing like a cash incentive :lol:

Ok, please can you download the latest beta (2.6.1.3). I've changed my approach - instead of using a CTime control I'm now using separate fields for day/hour/minute/second. This *should* overcome the problem....hopefully.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Timestamp

Postby Bob L. » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:39 pm

Congratulations! The problem is fixed. Changing dates works perfectly.

Thanks for concentrating on this issue. You have no idea how much this helps. My alternative for changing dates was the command-line based exiftool. Trying to craft a command line syntax for adding or subtracting time from a series of pictures was maddening.

Bulk Rename Utility is the best way to rename a group of files and change file dates at the same time.

Thanks again

(One issue that may confuse other people is the visual differences between changing a time. If I have a file selected and choose "Fixed" or "Delta" or "set to Current"- I get to see the new time immediately on the screen when I press OK. If I select "set to Modifed" I don't see the change until I execute the rename. This may confuse some...)

But this is just a very minor issue in a really good program.

Bob
Bob L.

Postby Admin » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:26 pm

Well spotted!

I've just uploaded a new release which should fix this. Note: the new release also uses the timestamp stuff from your Favourites file, so watch out for that :-)

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to BRU Support