Thumbnail and file discrepancies

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Thumbnail and file discrepancies

Postby jbreardon » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:44 pm

I am having trouble with XP Home file system. I currently have 3 small hard drives, which I want to consolidate onto 2 larger drives. Prior to the
consolidation I am doing a general house cleaning of my files. I am carefully going though all my files using Bulk Rename Utility for renaming. I have also been deleting unneeded files, creating new folders and oving files to different drives and folders. While naming some jpeg files I have notice some discrepancies in that thumbnail picture is not correct with the name. The same thumbnail may appear multiple times with on jpgs with unique names. In other words the thumbnail pictures and descriptions do not always match. If I click a thumbnail, that is not the match for the
name of the file, the correctly named jpeg image is displayed. I do not think there is a problem with BRU but something is out of sync. Are there
Microsoft XP utilities that will make sure the file and directory system is correct? My project is on hold until I regain confidence in the file system. I recently had to re-install XP because my ‘All Programs’ became corrupted and showed only a few programs while the programs were available for execution in the Window Program folder. I am trying to learn a little about the Microsoft file system to correct the problem. Is there a good chat room that discusses these issues? Any comments?

Jim
jbreardon

Postby Admin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:59 pm

Hi jim,

Can you clarify what the actual problem is please. BRU isn't strong on thumbnails (the picture viewer window) so you should rely upon the thumbnails in Explorer itself.

Are there Microsoft XP utilities that will make sure the file and directory system is correct

Again, I need some clarification. There's no such this as a file and directory system, it's a single file system - it's just that some entries are files and some are directories.

XP tries to create thumbnails of pictures, and it stores these in a hidden file in each folder (thumbs.db). It's possible to delete this file, and XP will rebuild the thumbnail catalogue when you next access the folder.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support