How auto-rename sub-folders w filenames?

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

How auto-rename sub-folders w filenames?

Postby henry » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:33 am

First off, what a great utility!

Here's my question. I've searched the forums here, but can't find an answer to my question. Also, fiddled w BRU, which I'm pretty familiar with, but can't seem to find this option.

I've got a whole buncha files in various folders that need further processing, un-RARing & re-RARing with additional files.

I'd like not only to rename the files (Can do perfectly, thanks BRU!!) but after renaming, I'd like to automatically move (or copy if move isn't do-able) each file to a new sub-folder under the current one, but with the new filename as the foldername. Again, each file (100's of them) will have it's own unique name, so I need to copy/move each to a sub-folder preserving that name.

EG:

My working folder is:

MyFiles_001

Files in the 100's would include eg:

MyFirstFile.RAR

I then want to copy/move to a new sub-folder:

MyFiles_001/MyFirstFile/MyFirstFile.RAR

and next file would be like:

MyFiles_001/MySecondFile/MySecondFile.RAR

etc., etc.

Can BRU do this? If so, how?

Finally, if BRU can't do this, does anyone know the name of a freeware utility I saw about a year or so ago (posted to alt.comp.freeware, I think, but searches failed to turn it up). With this freeware, you can automatically move/copy a folders files, one-by-one to new sub-folders BUT only to subfolders w the first letter of the filename. Does anyone know the name of this utility?

EG, in above example,

MyFiles_001/MyFirstFile/MyFirstFile.RAR

which is what I want would be copied/moved as:

MyFiles_001/M/MyFirstFile.RAR

MyFiles_001/M/MySecondFile.RAR

Close, but what I really want is -each- file in a separate folder.

Thanks! Any help would be much appreciated.

Henry
henry

Postby Admin » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:03 am

Sorry, BRU can't do this. It can move/copy to a new folder, but the name of that folder is fixed, rather than flexible.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for reply

Postby henry » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:39 pm

Thanks for your quick reply! Yes, that's kinda what I figured. Thanks anyway.

Henry
henry

Return to BRU Support