bruhere.dll and error 0x80040201

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

bruhere.dll and error 0x80040201

Postby ggersch » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:30 am

Hi,

I'm running Vista x64, and when I attempted to load the bruhere.dll explorer extension, using the command on the download page, I got an error message from regsvr32. The error message is:

The module "c:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\BRUHere.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with the error code 0x80040201.

Since I couldn't post here yet, I did some googling and found a related answer. In order to run regsvr32, you have to be in administrator mode, otherwise you get this error.

Here's the tricky part. Even if you're logged in with an admin account, a cmd window does not have administrator rights. In order to get regsvr32 to work, you have to launch the command window by right-clicking and choosing 'run as administrator'. The cmd window title now reads "Administrator: Command Prompt".

Now you can run the "regsvr32 "c:\Program Files\Bulk Rename Utility\BRUHere.dll"" command without problems.

Yes, I'm a Vista noob. But if I made this mistake, I'm sure someone else will too. With this post, now you can learn from my mistake.

Greg
ggersch

Postby Admin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:20 am

Hi Greg,

Many thanks for your post. This is something I hadn't realised, as I run Vista x64 with UAC disabled (therefore admin by default).

Thanks for posting this, as others will surely benefit. I will update the website.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Re: bruhere.dll and error 0x80040201

Postby smd9 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:47 pm

I think it would be good to either explain in the download page that a command window needs to be open using "Run as administrator", or a link needs to be placed to this forum post. I had the same problem as the original poster, in that I have an admin account which I thought would let me run that regsvr command, but I didn't know I had to open a command prompt window using "Run as administrator" to get it to actually work.
smd9

Re: bruhere.dll and error 0x80040201

Postby Admin » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:44 am

Hopefully this problem has now gone away, as I've just released a new version which does the registration automatically.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support