Move after rename query

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Move after rename query

Postby spl1nt4 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:12 am

Hi,

I'm trying to use the move after rename option (13), but after processing, found that it had moved ALL files in the folder, even those not affected by the rename.

Am I doing something wrong (probably!)?

Tom
spl1nt4

Re: Move after rename query

Postby Admin » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:09 am

Hi,

BRU will operate on all selected files, regardless of whether or not they are getting a new name. It has to do this, otherwise things like the Change Attributes and the Change Timestamp features would only work if the file was also getting a new name.

If you aren;t using the New Location logic, BRU will compare the full current path with the full "new" path. If the two are identical then it will skip
this file. But if you are moving the file then of course the paths will never be identical, so the move will be processed.

If you select all files, and some get new names and others do not, the New Location logic will still take effect.

For your situation, what you should probably do is tick the "group affected files" option, then sort by a column. You can then easily select the block of files to be renamed as they will be grouped together.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Move after rename query

Postby spl1nt4 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:19 am

Thanks Jim,

Makes sense, I'll do the sort and tag affected files.

Cheers,

Tom
spl1nt4

Return to BRU Support