Select From Clipboard Not Working

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Select From Clipboard Not Working

Postby Burton » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:57 pm

I have tried everything I can think of to get the Select From Clipboard action to work, but can't seem to get it. I have an excel file with a list of file names and extensions. I copy the column with the file names to the clipboard and verify that the list is indeed on the clipboard. In BRU, I then navigate to the folder that contains the files I wish to rename and from the Actions menu I click on Select From Clipboard. When I do this, no files are highlighted and the Rename Button is still greyed out.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Burton
Burton

Re: Select From Clipboard Not Working

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi Burton,

There could be a couple of issues. Firstly, if your filenames in Excel have extensions then you probably need to tick the "ignore file extensions" option. Secondly, are you merely wanting to seelct files or select and rename? if the latter then you might want to look at the Rename pairs option.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Burton » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:33 pm

Thanks for the reply. My file names on the clipboard did include the extensions. I tried the ignore file extension option and I tried removing the extensions from the list. Niether way worked.

I need to select certian files from the folder, then rename and move them to another folder. I don't think the Rename Pairs Option would work for me, because as I understand it, while it would rename only the files I specified it would move every file in the folder.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again.
Burton

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:44 pm

I'll take a look. There could be a bug, as I don't recall that being a widely-used feature.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:00 pm

Yes I'm afraid there's a bug. The trailing newline character isn't being properly removed.

If there's another release then this fix will be included.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby thusly » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:30 pm

Hello. I'm new here. I see from posts here that problems with the Select from Clipboard function (the main one being that it doesn't work) have been around for a couple of years. Well I just installed BRU recently and I've been trying it out. And guess what?! The Select from Clipboard function still doesn't work. It doesn't do anything at all!

Renaming files from the tags assumes that the tag information is correct - or even present! So I want a quick, easy way of importing filenames. I chose BRU because it allegedly has such a function.

Since this was the only feature I really wanted from the program, and it does not work, I've already uninstalled the program. I don't need garbage taking up space on my hard drive.
thusly

Re: Select From Clipboard Not Working?

Postby KCnHouston » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:41 pm

Admin wrote:Yes I'm afraid there's a bug. The trailing newline character isn't being properly removed.

If there's another release then this fix will be included.

Jim

Currently using BRU version 2.7.1.2

I've used the BRU for a number of years now, but never for the purpose that I'm needing it now. I've searched this board and this post is as close as I've come to finding a reply that may fit my question.

Let me tell you what I see at the bottom line. "216569 Objects (1 Selected) - BatchCopyFromListFile.| "

I'm using a CSV file with a list of 622 images to be selected from 219K images, copied and placed in a different folder. It seems to set up properly, however, only the one file is copied. It would need to be run 621 more times! This post by Admin Jim says that there was a bug that may have been fixed, maybe not. Can anyone tell me if what I am attempting is a valid function, and if using the Clipboard list is a proper method of doing so?
Sorting this out has become a challenge so I appreciate your help.
Best Regards,
KCnHouston
KCnHouston

Re: Select From Clipboard Not Working?

Postby KCnHouston » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:29 pm

:oops: Ok my mistake. I was expecting this program to read the list INSIDE of the csv file as my other program used to. Now that we are on Win7 that other program no longer works.
I expected BRU to work with the same behavior. No, I learned that I have to copy the complete list of file names I want copied, not just the file name that contains them, and then have the patience to wait for it to load up all of the images needed from the 217,000. It takes a while.

Then, it works! Not so fast as I expected, but then this is not the primary way that I use this program.

On this TOPIC of Clipboard, Please close and note that the Clipboard bug WAS fixed and function is available for use.

Thank you,

KCnHouston
KCnHouston

Return to BRU Support