NEW QUESTION (never been asked)- NEED HELP

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

NEW QUESTION (never been asked)- NEED HELP

Postby SPT » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:57 pm

Hey Jim or anyone else that can help,

We are a cellphone retailer and starting a new site. We want to edit our image name in bulk. We tried to use your program but it does not do what what we need.

The thing is this, we have 2000+ skus. So example is the SKU "5545" we need to change this to "blackberry-pouch-red"

we have about 2000+ of these but the thing is that each of these is all unique, both the SKU and what has to be changed to (so none of the two are the same). I was thinking of uploading somehow and excel sheet of the skus that the image is right now and what the image name should be replaced with.

If you can address us how we can get this done we would be very thankful and would like to sponsor $155+

Hope to hear from you either way if it is possible or not.

Thanks In advance
SPT

Re: NEW QUESTION (never been asked)- NEED HELP

Postby Admin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi SPT,

I suggest you use the Import Rename Pairs feature.

Use Excel to format text strings showing the old name and the new name, pipe-separated. So:

5545|blackberry-pouch-red
5546|blackberry-pouch-black

Get this lot into a text file and then use the Import Rename Pairs feature. Then highlight all your files (Ctrl+A) and the matching files will get the new names.

It's 22:20 in the UK so I might not post another message tonight, but I'll be around early in the morning. Good luck!

Jim

EDIT: Correction, you probably also need the file extensions on there, so:

5545.jpg|blackberry-pouch-red.jpg
5546.jpg|blackberry-pouch-black.jpg
Admin
Site Admin

Postby SPT » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:55 am

Hey Jim,

Thanks for getting so back so quick. I been trying to get it to the first step but dont even know what/how to do a pipe-separation on excel. Sorry not so great with this stuff :?

5545.jpg|blackberry-pouch-red.jpg
5546.jpg|blackberry-pouch-black.jpg

Once I see it in excel I pretty much can just use that layout.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Last edited by SPT on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPT

Postby Admin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:33 am

It's very very easy. Just have your old names in column A and your new names in column B. Then in Column C create a formula:

=A1 & "|" & B1

Copy this formula all the way down as far as you need.

Then highlight the whole column, press Ctrl+C to copy, then paste it into Notepad. You now have your pipe-delimited pairs.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support