Show this warning again

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Show this warning again

Postby ridelo » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:07 am

Canceling "Show this warning again" doesn't work for me. :?:
ridelo

Re: Show this warning again

Postby jimwillsher » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:47 pm

If I recall correctly, this is one of the very few settings that's stored in the registry, so perhaps you don't have permission to update the registry?

I could be totally mistaken, it's a while since I've looked into that part of the system, but I *think* I'm right.

Jim
jimwillsher

Postby ridelo » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:53 pm

All I can say is that I am administrator of this computer. It's a Vista Home Edition I'm running. Do I have to change some settings?
ridelo

Postby GMA » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:52 pm

Hi, Jim & Ridelo:

I checked the registry but didn't find that setting stored there, so I opened the INI and found these lines:

Display Warning Message=1
Display Confirmation Message=1

I'm pretty sure that's what Ridelo is looking for. So, with Jim's permission, I'll suggest trying the following:

- Exit BRU.
- Open the file "Bulk Rename Utility.ini" with your text editor of choice (like Notepad).
- Change the ("Display Warning Message" and/or "Display Confirmation Message") value from 1 to 0.
- Save the changes and close the text editor.
- Open BRU and rename something to confirm that those messages are no loger appearing.

Hope it helps :wink:. Best regards,

Gabriel.
Mar del Plata - Argentina
GMA

Postby ridelo » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:19 am

I tried this but, even as my account type is Administrator, I cannot change the ini file.
Nevertheless thanks for the support.

Rik, Belgium
ridelo

Postby ridelo » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:30 am

OK. I managed. I had to change the read only of the map.

Thanks again.

Rik
ridelo

Postby jimwillsher » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:36 pm

I suspect that was the initial cause - if it's readonly then BRU wouldn't have been able to update it either.

Many thanks to GMA for the pointer.

Jim
jimwillsher

To jimwillsher

Postby KHL » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:00 pm

Who's that new member "jimwillsher"? :wink:

Am I right that due to the transferred rights/responsibility for BRU you also gave away your Admin privilegues?

Have a good weekend.
KHL

Postby jimwillsher » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:15 am

Hi KHL,

Yes that is correct. The running of the BRU project has been transferred to someone else, and as such I have no direct control now. This includes the website. However as I still feel "passionate" about BRU, and I want to help the "new owner" in any way I can, I registered on the forums and will visit from time to time to look at postings and see what's happening.

As such "Admin" is no longer me...but I'm still around wearing my new hat of "jimwillsher".

Jim
jimwillsher

Postby ridelo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:37 am

When I remove the read-only marking of the BRU map, it resets itself to read-only after finishing. So there's no way to make the warnings effective again unless by going trough the ini-file?
ridelo

Postby jimwillsher » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:35 pm

BRU certainly isn't setting the file to readonly - not unless you're actively performing an operation on the .INI file and you have set attributes in the Change File Attributes dialog.

Jim
jimwillsher

Postby ridelo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:55 pm

Then I don't understand what's happening on my PC. Because that's what I see. I change the BRU directory (map?) to readonly. Then I have to confirm that I have administrator rights. And when I look again at the properties I see it's readonly again.
Maybe I do something stupid being a bit of a PC nitwit...

Rik
ridelo

Postby GMA » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:02 pm

Hi, Rik:
Don't worry; we'll figure it out :)

ridelo wrote:When I remove the read-only marking of the BRU map, it resets itself to read-only after finishing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "map", but there's only one file you need to change, and that's "Bulk Rename Utility.ini". Right-click this file, choose "Properties", uncheck the Read-only box (under the "General" tab) and press OK.
That change is permanent, and there's no reason for your file to be reverted back to "Read only" (at least not by BRU) if the change was indeed successfully applied. Maybe it has something to do with that annoying UAC (User Access Control) that Vista brought to this world. If that's the case, maybe you should take a look at this (I took it from a Vista Support forum):

To take full ownership:
1. Right click file, select properties.
2. Hit security tab, select advanced
3. Click owner tab, the hit edit (accept the UAC pop-up box)
4. Select your username, click OK, accept the pop up box, then OK out of all dialogue boxes

To take full control
1. Right click file, select properties.
2. Hit security tab, then click on your username.
3. Hit edit, then click on your username on the pop up screen
4. Check the box marked "full control" under the allow heading
5. OK out of all dialogue boxes

I'm not a Vista user, so that's pretty much all I can help you with regarding permissions, UAC, etc.
Cheers,

Gabriel.
GMA

Postby ridelo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:41 pm

Sorry, this had to be:

Then I don't understand what's happening on my PC. Because that's what I see. I change the BRU directory (map?) to read and write. Then I have to confirm that I have administrator rights. And when I look again at the properties I see it's readonly again.
Maybe I do something stupid being a bit of a PC nitwit...

Rik
ridelo

Return to BRU Support