How to remove/replace '_' from nth Charatcer

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

How to remove/replace '_' from nth Charatcer

Postby ibexcentral » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:48 am

Hi,

Great product I think it's fantastic.

Please can someone tell me how I can turn this:

Category_Best_YY_MM_DD_HH_MM_Location_This_is_the_part_I_want_to_remove_the_underscores_from.jpg
or
Category_Best_YY_MM_DD_HH_MM_Location_This_is_the_part I_want_to remove_the_underscores from.jpg

to be this:

Category_Best_YY_MM_DD_HH_MM_Location_This is the part I want to remove the underscores from.jpg

Can't think of how to do this as I don't know BRU well enough.

HELP !!!!
ibexcentral

Re: How to remove/replace '_' from nth Charatcer

Postby ibexcentral » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:50 am

Please can someone read and tell me if this is possible?

Would really appreciate it....

Cheers

Paul
ibexcentral

Postby jimwillsher » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:25 am

You can probably use Regular Expressions, but I suspect you'll have to do it in several passes.

First, replace the underscores that you want to keep with another symbol. Then replace underscores with blanks. Finally, replace your chosen symbol with underscores.

I say this because you will have more than 10 components in the RegExp, which the engine used by BRU does not support. But you should be able code a RegExp to look for

MM_Location_

and use that as a marker. Messy, but probably achievable.

Or get the listing into a spreadsheet and use some Excel functions, then use the Rename pairs feature in BRU.

Jim
jimwillsher

Postby ibexcentral » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:59 am

Hi Jim,

I thought the BRU might be able to do this I am sure this has been required before.

Anyway Excel is so powerful and easy to use......infact I can rename the files using excel too.

I always seem to make things more complicated than they really are.....god old excel.

Cheers

Paul
ibexcentral

Return to BRU Support