Files disappear and can't recover

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Files disappear and can't recover

Postby dpctutor » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:32 pm

I have been using BRU 2.7.0.3 on a machine with Windows XP and on more than one occasion I have had files "disappear" in the middle of a rename action. The files are there and selected but suddenly BRU gives me an error message that it can't rename them because they don't exist. If I say to cancel , and not go ahead with the rename, they are still gone. I have lost whole CD's worth of mp3 files at least twice. I even tried some file recovery software last time but it couldn't find them either. I like your utility better than others I have tried but I am gunshy and today I switched to Visual Renamer which has a real nice "UNDO" feature that works well.

Has anyone besides me had this problem?

Does the newer version address the problem or have a better "UNDO"?

dpctutor
dpctutor

Re: Files disappear and can't recover

Postby jimwillsher » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:48 pm

Hi,

There's only two scenarios that could cause this:

1) The file has already been renamed further up the list. For example, you rename a folder, then the files in that folder are attempted to be renamed. BRU caters for this, but perhaps there's a scenario that it doesn't?

2) Something else has deleted the files.

BRU doesn't actually delete a file UNLESS you have the "overwrite target files" option ticked, but that should only be ticked if you really do want to overwrite files. What it does is deletes the target filename if it exists, then performs the rename.

So, I'm a little unsure how you're experiencing this error - but it's the first time anyone has experienced it (to my knowledge), and with 1000 downloads per day I'm fairly sure it's not a BRU issue I'm afraid.

I'm not trying to pass the buck, I simply cannot find any way that BRU could be the cause.

Jim
jimwillsher

Postby KenzieNz24 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:38 pm

This happened to me too. I finally figured out why... I selected 'Remove Filename' and 'Overwrite Files' and I was trying to rename my pictures with the 'Date Taken' (using a 'Custom' setting of %Y%m%d_%H%M%S). The problem was many of my photos were taken rapid fire, at the exact same date and time (down to the second). So BRU would delete the filename and then couldn't rename it, because another target file already had the same name. Instead, the file would get a blank name (.JPEG) and Windows Explorer would delete it. I wish BRU would warn you this is going to happen, and give you the option to manually rename the duplicates.
KenzieNz24

Postby Emerkamp » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:25 pm

I Got caught up on this too. The wording of the option is bad. It should be "Delete Target Files" instead of "Overwrite". Because deleting is what it does. Along with a big Red Warning next to it. Overwrite makes you think your going to end up with copies unless you tick it. I Wiped a whole drive with movies doing this and learning the hard way.. Helps To Read the Manual before renaming. It is covered,but buried in words.

I think The OP either renamed a parent folder holding the files, or had this option ticked...
Emerkamp

Postby Admin » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:12 am

Sorry to hear about the problem BRU caused you. For version 3 we will clarify this option and give a big warning before renaming. When file deletions are involved it is always risky.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Emerkamp » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:41 pm

Code: Select all
For version 3 we will clarify this option and give a big warning before renaming. When file deletions are involved it is always risky.

I agree. My bigger concern is BRU doesn't honor the "Prevent Duplicates" option, When "Overwrite Target File" option is ticked. I think Red Letters and a tool tip warning, "When you tick the Option" would be fine. Also Some ppl have warnings disabled. So maybe a reminder at startup. I don't really blame BRU, It was more my fault for not Reading and being in a hurry..

BRU is stil the KING of renaming files in my book. I've tried close to 100 different programs over the past 5-10 years and BRU is still the most used on all my machines. Fast and flexible.

Thanks to the software Creator for making this. Great Software indeed..
Emerkamp

Postby Admin » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:20 am

Extra warning added in version 3
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Emerkamp » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:16 am

Admin wrote:Extra warning added in version 3

Thank you. Also, glad to see you kept the core of BRU in ver.3.0. Great work.
Emerkamp

Return to BRU Support