Appending Parent Folders Names to All SubFolders Names

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Appending Parent Folders Names to All SubFolders Names

Postby shaunkramer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:09 pm

Folder Struture : \\Properties\Nameofproperty\Subfolders
Challenge: to Append the Nameofproperty to All Subfolders names for All Folders in \\Properties e.g. From \\Properties\Nameofproperty\Subfolder to \\Properties\Nameofproperty\Nameofproperty Subfolder

It seems that my understanding of BRU allows me to rename the Subfolders easily by selecting each \Nameofproperty parent folder and Selecting Subfolders to Rename, however I have hundreds of \\Nameofproperty folders which would mean me selecting each parent folder indidually and selecting the \Subfolder

I hope this is clear that I want to Rename in a Batch process and would appreciate a way of doing this.

Thanks,
Shaun
shaunkramer

Re: Appending Parent Folders Names to All SubFolders Names

Postby GMA » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi, Shaun:
I think it can be done. Let's see:

1. In the folder tree, select the "Properties" folder.
2. In Selections (12) check ONLY Folders and Subfolders.
3. Set Append Folder Name (9) as Prefix. You can also insert a separator, like a space, if you want.
4. On the right pane, select manually only the folders corresponding to the "Subfolder" level (* see note below).
5. Rename.

* NOTE: If you're lucky enough that all the "Subfolders" folders share some kind of common name pattern (one that is not present also in "Properties" or "Nameofproperty"), you can use the filter in "Selections (12)" to remove everything but the "Subfolders" level from the right pane. That way you will avoid the manual selection, and all you have to do is press CTRL+A to select all.
One last thing: for some reason, Selections (12) > Filter doesn't auto-refresh. You have to press F5 any time you want to check how's your filter affecting the files/folders on the right pane.

Cheers,

Gabriel.
GMA

Postby shaunkramer » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:47 pm

Thanks Gabriel,

This works, however it does not do as I wish in being able to have all subfolders on the right of the Tree Renaming the Subfolders ( and files ) within them. One would almost need to have all the subfolders automaticly shifted onto the Left Hand Side of The Tree first - The name structure is not suitable for filtering.

I wonder if I am just being dumb or if their is some other utility out there that can rename a stack of files and subfolders within their parentts folder by selecting the the folder that contains them all.

In the meanwhile we will do part of it manually - BRU is still a huge help with this.

Cheers :)

Shaun
shaunkramer

Postby GMA » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi, Shawn:
OK, let me see if I understand the problem: you needed both folders AND files to be renamed? Because in your first post you only mentioned folders, so I actually left the files out of the process intentionally. So, you need to rename the "Subfolder" folders like this:

\\Properties\Nameofproperty\Subfolder

to

\\Properties\Nameofproperty\Nameofproperty Subfolder

And also the files, like this:

\\Properties\Nameofproperty\Nameofproperty Subfolder\File.any

to

\\Properties\Nameofproperty\Nameofproperty Subfolder\Nameofproperty Subfolder File.any

Is that correct? Let me know so we'll work something out from there.
Cheers,

Gabriel.
GMA

Postby shaunkramer » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi Gabriel,

Thats 100 percent correct. I wasn't too bothered about the files until I realised that it will actually suit me to rename them too.

There must be a way of doing this - though trawling the net doesnt' show much about it without getting involved in Code.

See what you come up with. I would like to say thank you for taking the time and effort to respond so promptly.

Regards,

Shaun
shaunkramer

Postby GMA » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:55 pm

No problem :wink:
Ok, now, since I don't know what is it that you have done already there's two possible alternatives:

If you haven't changed anything and both the "Subfolder" folders and the files they contain still have their original names, then:

2. In Selections (12) check only Folders and Subfolders.
3. Set Append Folder Name (9) as Prefix. You can also insert a separator (using "Sep."), like a space, if you want.
4. On the right pane, select manually only the folders corresponding to the "Subfolder" level.
5. Rename.

Now that the folders are renamed, you can follow the steps described below to rename also the files.

If your folders are already renamed (i.e. you have "\\Properties\Nameofproperty\Nameofproperty Subfolder"), and all that's left to rename is your files, then:

2. In Selections (12) check only Files and Subfolders.
3. Set Append Folder Name (9) as Prefix. You can also insert a separator (using "Sep."), like a space, if you want.
4. Press CTRL+A to select all the files (or use the Actions > Select All menu).
5. Rename.

Now you have all folders and files renamed.
Cheers,

Gabriel.
GMA

Postby shaunkramer » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:05 am

Hello Again! And Thank you....I have run a test on Renaming the Subfolders and it works as I wanted.

The File Renaming I will hang 10 on until I am able to Filter some of the Subfolders.

There are a few subfolders with recurring names to exclude e.g. "index", and "scene" how could I exlude these folders from being renamed ( I just read about regex, so I assume its a regex command to go into the Filter section ?)

Again - thanks for your help.

Shaun
shaunkramer

Postby GMA » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:25 am

No, I'm afraid you can't exclude those folders. The filter is used to indicate which folders will STAY (i.e. the ones that match the filter), not which will be removed.
The only way you can leave them out of the renaming operation is by not selecting them in the right panel, when you manually select the folders in step 4.
The same goes for the files that they might contain. Instead of pressing CTRL+A to select all the files (as I mention in the "second" step 4 from my previous post), you're gonna have to manually select everything except those unwanted files.
A little problematic, but unfortunatelly I can't think of any other way :(.
Regards,

Gabriel.
GMA

Postby helenjp » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Thank you, this worked a treat to add the folder name to nearly 1000 identically-named files in individual, named folders. Saved me repetitive strain injury! :D
helenjp

Return to BRU Support