I just stated getting and error message when I try to remove

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

I just stated getting and error message when I try to remove

Postby Marc » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:10 am

illegal characters. I get a message that the folder is in use by another process. These are both zip and rar that had the illegal characters in the files names.

Thanks,

Marc
Marc

Re: I just stated getting and error message when I try to remove

Postby GMA » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi, Marc:
What do you mean by "illegal characters"? Because if they were illegal they woldn't be in the filename in the first place (Windows woldn't have allowed it). As for the folder being in use by another process, make sure you don't have anything else opened that may be reading or writing the files contained in that folder. If you're not sure, try closing every other program before renaming the files with Bulk Rename Utility. As a last resource, reboot your computer and then go directly to Bulk Rename Utility. There shouldn't be anything locked now.
Regards,

Gabriel.
GMA

Postby Marc » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:13 pm

The characters are question marks. This just started and it happened on three different archived files zip and rar - if I remember correctly. I made sure that WinRAR was shut down and nothing was access the files.

Marc
Marc

Postby GMA » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:19 pm

I see. So, I suppose those files with question marks in their names are inside the ZIP/RAR files? I mean, it can't be the ZIPs/RARs, since you can't have a file with the "?" character in your local hard drive (at least not under the Windows filesystem). What happens when you try to extract the files?
GMA

Postby Marc » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:27 pm

The file name is "ABC.??.rar". And up until the last couple of days I had no problem eliminating them.

Marc
Marc

Return to BRU Support