bulk rename from imported list (not named pairs)

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

bulk rename from imported list (not named pairs)

Postby abendorg » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:52 pm

I just downloaded this wonderful program & I am reading through the documentation currently. What I did not find was how to import a list (over 500 files) that I need renamed. I only need to trim the last 14 to 4 characters off (leaving the .ext, since they are a mix of .pdf/.xls/.doc/etc type files). However the only import I see is importing a renamed pair for oldname.ext|newname.ext. I have a .txt file with all 500+ files listed, from driveletter:\all\the\way\to\the\various\deeply\nested\directories\reallylongnamefile.ext, so if there was a way that BRU could import that list & rename from that, it would save me ages.....

The reason I need to cut off 10 characters from each file is they are all extremely long file names, so long to the point that they will not copy from one windows machine to another (not sure how they were even created in the first place).

I can go in & manually select a file that needs to be renamed & it strips off the 10 characters while leaving the file extension, but these 500 files are strewn everywhere in the file system, some buried 6 or more directories deep in different directory structures, so at that point I may as well rename them manually...which is why I was hoping this wonderful tool could help me, is that possible?

Thank you,
abendorg

Re: bulk rename from imported list (not named pairs)

Postby Admin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:03 am

Hello,

if these file names have no common trait, e.g. extension, file name initials, etc. it won't be possible to rename them without selecting them individually...

thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Return to BRU Support