Slow Down

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Slow Down

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:22 pm

I just discovered this program, and it's great. I work at a summer camp in Minnesota and staff take tons of pictures with a wide variety of cameras. This is a great way to organize all the file names. I just had one question.

When I select a folder in the left browser pane, the files it contains appear in the right pane. This all happens very quickly except for folders that have pictures taken with a Nikon D-70. These files appear in the right pane much more slowly than files created with any other camera. The files are a bit bigger, in the area of 1500kb. Is it the size that causes the slow down? Or something I'm missing?

Thanks for the program!
Dan

Postby Admin » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:16 am

Hi Dan,

Yes, it will be the size of the picture. The program is trying to extract the "date picture taken" from the EXIF tags, and it might be that the Nikon stores this at the end of the file (Exif tags can be anywhere). Perhaps I should make the "date picture taken" optional?

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:21 pm

Well, I actually sort by when the picture was taken and number the files sequentially based on that. So, in this instance, it is important data for me to have. The slow down in not tremendous - it takes anywhere from half a second to a second for each file, with about 200 files per folder. Waiting a couple of minutes is worth the functionality this software provides.

If I didn't need the date picture taken info, it might be nice to have this as an option. Could a user pick and chose what info they want imported and shown? (Created, Modified, File Type, etc.) Would that make the file recognition faster?

Thanks again for the software.
Dan

Postby Admin » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:23 pm

Hi Dan,

The only impact is if the "Date Taken" field is shown. All the other dates come from a data-structure which is being retrieved anyway, so they don't slow it down perceptably. Just the Exif flags slow it down.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Slow response with D70 photos

Postby Tom Heim » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:26 pm

Do these filenames begin with an underscore ("_")? The D70 will produce these filenames if AdobeRGB color space is selected in camera and you are shooting in RAW mode (at least, my camera did a year ago). I found 3rd party thumbnail viewers had trouble handling the leading underscore.

D70 photos captured in sRGB did not produce the leading underscore and did not present any issues.

This is probably not relevant to BRU, but just thought I would mention it.
Tom Heim

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:32 pm

I've made a change for the next version whereby the EXIF processing can be enabled/disabled via a menu option.

Jim

Return to BRU Support