Randomly Sort File Order in Folder

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Randomly Sort File Order in Folder

Postby brashie » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:29 pm

I want to copy mp3 files from a folder onto a cd rom that can then be played in a cd player with mp3 functionality. The files in the folder are arranged in alphabetical order and although I can sort them according to size, date etc, when I copy them onto a disc they always get rearranged back into alpha order. I have tried randomly soprting and saving to a new location (folder) using the Bulk Rename action and program. When I have then looked at the files in the new folder, however, they are back in alpha order.

Am I using the program incorrectly?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
brashie

Postby Admin » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:52 pm

Hi Brashie,

No, you're not using it incorrectly. BRU sorts the files on the screen, but when they get written to the new folder it is Windows which takes over (or more specifically, the file system). So, the order within the folder is outside the control of BRU (and outside your control).

The way around it would be to sort the files ina random order using BRU, and then add a numberic preif using the "AutoNumber" feature, so that the files are prefixed with 001, 002, 003 etc. Not ida, but at least you can then guarantee that the music player will see the files in the sequence you have chosen.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

random sort

Postby brashie » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:32 pm

Thanks Jim, I thought it might be the case that Windows treats files that way. I'll try your solution which I'm sure will achieve my objctives so thanks again.
brashie

Return to BRU Support