sort file tree on criteria

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

sort file tree on criteria

Postby zwerfkat » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:27 am

Just downloaded and started BRU and it looks quite impressive!

Two questions:
1. when using recursive selection, there can be many files listed in the selection screen. After setting some criteria, the files which are about to change are shown in a different (green) color.

Is there a possibility to sort on these marked files, so I can verify them before I use the Rename button? Otherwise I have to scroll through the huge list of files to find the marked ones.

2. A column named "Taken" is shown in the selection screen. What does this column mean?
zwerfkat

Postby Admin » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:42 am

Hi,

1) not yet, but this has been requested by others so I will add this functionality. I'll probably add an Options menu item saying "group affected files" as this will allow you to sort on any column, still keeping the affected files together.

2) Date taken, when you extract EXIF data from JPEG images.

Hope this helps!

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:10 pm

Okay, I've just coded this, and it will be in the next release.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby zwerfkat » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:50 pm

Thanks for your quick respond!
zwerfkat

Postby ppbr » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:12 am

I also want to have a preview list of the files that will be renamed, before hitting the "Rename" button. Is this what the Options > Sorting > Group Affected Files menu is supposed to do? I checked this option, but the files with new name are still lost in the long list of all files. Even restarting the application does nothing (no difference whether the "Group Affected" option is checked or not).
Isn't is easier if you add a column called "Status" or something like that, with value: "rename", "no_change". Then I could sort this column manually without having to tweak any setting and group the files : folders that will be renamed.

Also, is there a way to customize the displayed columns (I mean hide /un-hide some columns)?

Finally, could you check for conflict (new name already exist in the same folder) and make a warning before the "Rename" button is pressed.
If you implement the "Status" column, then you could add a "clash" status.
ppbr

Postby Admin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:16 am

Hi

I also want to have a preview list of the files that will be renamed, before hitting the "Rename" button. Is this what the Options > Sorting > Group Affected Files menu is supposed to do? I checked this option, but the files with new name are still lost in the long list of all files. Even restarting the application does nothing (no difference whether the "Group Affected" option is checked or not).
Isn't is easier if you add a column called "Status" or something like that, with value: "rename", "no_change". Then I could sort this column manually without having to tweak any setting and group the files : folders that will be renamed.

If you enable Group Affected Files and then sort by a column, all the files which are going to be renamed will appear together.

Also, is there a way to customize the displayed columns (I mean hide /un-hide some columns)?

You can change the size of columns and you can change their position. To hide a column just drag the size to zero.

Finally, could you check for conflict (new name already exist in the same folder) and make a warning before the "Rename" button is pressed.
If you implement the "Status" column, then you could add a "clash" status.

No, becuase that's still not valid. What if you have files called A,B, C, D and E an you choose to rename ALL FIVE files and replace the letter C with the letter E. All the files are valid initially, but when you try to rename the third file it becomes invalid. This is just an easy scenario, but when you remember that you can process recursively AND rename folders, it's simply impractical. The only safe way to actually attempt the rename operation.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppbr » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:06 pm

OK, I get it now. It was not obvious that you had to click on a column to get the affected files grouped.

I am not sure I understand all your explanation about not being able to warn about potential file clashes, this may be because I use very limited features of your software.

Anyway, thanks for your answer.
ppbr

Return to BRU Support