Date Taken Original Not Showing Correct Value

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Date Taken Original Not Showing Correct Value

Postby daddycool » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:38 am

Hi, and i'm new to the tool - have downloaded as was looking for a tool that would allow me to rename photo files (JPG's) quickly, and especially using the date taken EXIF attribute - however, I have just tried using it and found that the date taken value shown in the dialogue is incorrect - it appears to be showing the date created or date modified value - for example, if I look look at the properties of the file using Windows, the EXIF information shows the date taken value as 28/05/2009 07:15, the same file has a date created value of 10/12/2009 10:23 and date modified as same - i suspect this is due to some coding validation within the tool that is checking if the date created value is later than the EXIF date taken value and in that instance, is using the date created value instead of the EXIF - it is of course a valid scenario (due to copying of files) have a created date later than EXIF, as EXIF info is retained during a copy, so I am interested to know if there is a fix for this being planned in a new version of the tool?
I have to say, having had a play around anyway, the tool does seem to an excellent tool and exactly what i'm looking for, if only I could get it to display the correct date taken values - you may have guessed that I would like to sequence the photo's by date taken.
thanks for any info anyone can provide
daddycool

Re: Date Taken Original Not Showing Correct Value

Postby guest » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:25 pm

Did you find a solution? I have the same problem.

Postby daddycool » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:06 pm

no, other than manually sorting into groups in windows explorer then using BRU to rename each group, setting contiguous numbering on - having looked at it a bit more I think it's simply that BRU is not using the right EXIF data item but this seems to be only once the file has been edited in some way already (eg. if filename changed from original) - having uploaded some new photo's and viewed them in BRU the taken date was showing correctly, but once I had renamed the file, the taken date was then incorrect - ie. this suggests BRU is not using taken (original) date as naturally this date can never change, but is using another date - i'm sure the writers of the software will be fixing this with a future version update
daddycool

Postby Chapter4 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:34 am

Its a shame this doesn't work properly.. would be a great tool otherwise.
Chapter4

Postby DwightAH » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:57 pm

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem and posted about it on 02 April and still have not heard back about a fix.

Does anyone know if this is ever going to be fixed? This would be a great tool if it could read accurate Date Taken values.

Dwight
DwightAH

Postby Admin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:42 pm

Hello, found the problem in the code and will publish an update soon. thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:04 am

Fixed in version 2.7.1.2
thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby beerman » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:11 am

i still have the problem after updating

beerman

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:40 pm

See FAQ , 3rd question, thanks

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Faq.php
Admin
Site Admin

Postby JennyT » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:33 pm

I'm trying to rename file names and keep the original Date Modified/Created value instead of changing it to the date of renaming...

I'm using the 64 bit version. 2,7,1,2

Hope someone can help as its a bit of a pain having to change the created time back as there are 1000s of files...
JennyT

Postby Geovane » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi folks,

I'm a bit confused about where to post out in this forum but let me tell this:
Go to "Options", "Extract", and mark the option "Exif Data (Photos)".
Now you should be able to see the exif data Taken in the respective column!
For some reason it is not a standard after instalation configuration.

*But please, remember to adjust the data and time on your camera before take your pics!!!*

Hope I help!

Best regards and good luck!
Geovane

Postby Vlackho » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Hello,

The problem is partially solved... The original dates from pictures will show up in the "Taken (original)", but not with videos!!!

The original dates of video files captured with a digital camera do NOT show up in the "Taken Original" column, it is blank! (.mp4, .avi, .mpg,... are blank in the "Taken original" Column)

How to solve this?

thanks in advance

BTW I LOVE this program, simply brilliant...
Vlackho

Postby PeteP » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:18 am

I'm having a similar problem. First, I took a ton of pictures and videos with the the clock in my camera set incorrectly, now I have a mess. I'm hoping BRU can save the day.

FYI, I think the various "dates" in the EXIF data mean the following:
1) Date Created: All file types seem to have this. For pictures and video, it will probably appear as the date/time you copied it from your camera to the computer. If you copy it somewhere else, it is updated.
2) Date Modified: Updated when you change the file. Rotating a picture for example. For videos, I believe this is roughly equivalent to "Date Taken" in pictures.
3) Date Accessed: I think this is supposed to be update if you look the file, but don't change it. However, if I open a picture in Windows Photo Viewer I would expect it to be updated, but it isn't.
4) Date Taken: Appears to be the date/time a picture is taken. In theory, this should never change (unless the clock in your camera is off). It does not appear that movies have this data field. Some cameras and photo editors/sorting software seem to have a timezone field. I'm not sure if Date Taken is written as "Camera Time +- Timezone Offset" when the file is created, or if Camera Time and Timezone Offset are both written to the .jpg file then interpreted by viewing/editing software.
5) Date: Windows File Explorer lists "Date" in the Details view as default. I believe this is equal to "Date Taken" for pictures and equal to "Date Modified" for videos.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in the above description. I tried to find a good reference to describe it all, but failed so this is just pieced together.

What I think needs to be (hope can be) changed in BRU:
Although I can now see the "Date Taken" field, I cannot modify it. When I bring up the Options-Timestamps window, it is possible to modify "Date Created", "Date Modified", and "Date Accessed", but not "Date Taken". Am I missing something? Can this be added - Please?

Sincerely,
Pete.
PeteP

Postby Stefan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:34 am

Hi Pete, welcome.

PeteP wrote:What I think needs to be (hope can be) changed in BRU:
Although I can now see the "Date Taken" field, I cannot modify it.
When I bring up the Options-Timestamps window, it is possible to modify "Date Created", "Date Modified", and "Date Accessed", but not "Date Taken".
Am I missing something? Can this be added - Please?

"Date Created", "Date Modified", and "Date Accessed" are properties of the file in the file system on disc. They can be modified.

But not "Date Taken", that is an property stored inside the file, an exif meta data. File contents can not be altered by an "file" renamer.

There are other tools to handle exif data, like:
ExifTool by Phil Harvey
Exiv2 utility
EXIF Jhead
EXIFutils
Stefan

Postby PeteP » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:12 am

Got it. I will look into ExifTool to modify the "Date Taken". I really like BRU, and was hoping it could do it all, but it looks like I will have to use both tools depending on the application.

Thanks,
Pete.
PeteP

Next

Return to BRU Support