Can't identify character in filename to delete

Post any general comments regarding Bulk Rename Utility here. Open to all registered users.

Can't identify character in filename to delete

Postby Johnny27 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:50 pm

I'm trying to deal with some files that come to me with a .. in the file name. Unfortunately, between the two periods there is a silent character of some sort. If I pull up the file name to edit, I can delete the first . and then the cursor stops and I can delete the invisible character and then delete the next . but I'd sure like to do this to multiple files at once using BRU. Any ideas how to find out what that character is?

Thanks!
Johnny27

Re: Can't identify character in filename to delete

Postby therube » Tue May 08, 2018 5:09 pm

So what you are seeing is .. ?

Highlight the .. & copy it.
Then past that into 3:Replace -> Replace:
Then in the With: box, type in what you want to replace it with, a single . or whatever.

Likewise, after copying the "2" dots, paste that into a, oh I'm thinking Wordpad file.
Save the file, then open it up in a hex editor & see what it says those "2" dots are?

(You could even paste those "2" dots as a reply into this thread & other should then be able to copy from here & analyze.)
therube

Re: Can't identify character in filename to delete

Postby Johnny27 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I just see the two periods (..). Further research seems to indicate that what I can't see is a NBSP or a non-breaking space. The ASCII for it is 160 (type ALT 0160 I think). Maybe now I just need to figure out how to enter a period, ASCII 160, period to get the first part correct. I know I want to replace that sequence with a dash.
Johnny27

Return to General Comments