BRU Deleting Files?

Post any general comments regarding Bulk Rename Utility here. Open to all registered users.

BRU Deleting Files?

Postby bossvt » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:12 pm

Hi All,

Just recently stumbled upon BRU and love it :), have been using other programs that don't quit live up to what I want basically I just want many folders, renamed with a filename and numeric value, ie. Cat-01, Cat-02 etc.. and these folders I add files and want to rename them all when I choose after I've added files.
I've figured out how to do so and setup favourites, but have a problem. Once the files are renamed some get deleted, I don't know why and they cant be retrieved by reverting ? And only noticed after half my wallpapers where deleted.
So basically folder Cat
Has say 20 files already named Cat-01/Cat-20 and I get new files added and want to rename them all with the same system but they get deleted? Is there any reason why this is happening?
Im using File to set a filename and Numbering (suffix) to add the numeric value incrementing 1.
w/ Options
- Retain Auto Number on
- Overwrite Target Files on
- Rename in Reverse order on / off and still the problem occurs. Any ideas? Thanks any help is much appreciated. :D
bossvt

Re: BRU Deleting Files?

Postby Stefan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:22 pm

bossvt wrote:Hi All,

Just recently stumbled upon BRU and love it :), have been using other programs that don't quit live up to what I want basically I just want many folders, renamed with a filename and numeric value, ie. Cat-01, Cat-02 etc.. and these folders I add files and want to rename them all when I choose after I've added files.
I've figured out how to do so and setup favourites, but have a problem. Once the files are renamed some get deleted, I don't know why and they cant be retrieved by reverting ? And only noticed after half my wallpapers where deleted.
So basically folder Cat
Has say 20 files already named Cat-01/Cat-20 and I get new files added and want to rename them all with the same system but they get deleted? Is there any reason why this is happening?
Im using File to set a filename and Numbering (suffix) to add the numeric value incrementing 1.
w/ Options
- Retain Auto Number on
- Rename in Reverse order on / off and still the problem occurs. Any ideas? Thanks any help is much appreciated. :D

Hi bossvt, welcome.

Don't know what happen.

You say:
* 20 files already named Cat-01/Cat-20
* and I get new files added
* - Retain Auto Number on
* - Overwrite Target Files on

Hmm, did you checked that autonumbering really starts at 21 for the second time? (i mean: for the new files added)
Looks like autonumbering start at 01 again and so you overwrite older files.

Others i can not say since i didn't stand behind you and take a look over your shoulder :roll:
Stefan

Postby bossvt » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:28 am

Stefan wrote:
bossvt wrote:Hi All,

So basically folder Cat
w/ Options
- Retain Auto Number on

Hi bossvt, welcome.

Don't know what happen.

You say:
* 20 files already named Cat-01/Cat-20
* and I get new files added
* - Retain Auto Number on
* - Overwrite Target Files on

Hmm, did you checked that autonumbering really starts at 21 for the second time? (i mean: for the new files added)
Looks like autonumbering start at 01 again and so you overwrite older files.

Others i can not say since i didn't stand behind you and take a look over your shoulder :roll:

I just selected all the files so they are all renamed again so I dont have to specifically select the new files. Is this why some files get deleted?
bossvt

Postby Equinox » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:25 pm

I have the same issue, not to mention i lost a lot of files (im quite pissed)..

If it has to rename a file to something that already exists it seems to delete both..

For example name 10 files using auto numbering 1-10..
Now set start at 2, and rename them all again, it will delete 1-9 and rename 10 to 11..

Key here is that it cant rename 1 to 2, because it already exists, it appears to stop existing and move on to the next (which has the same problem)..

EDIT: dont get me wrong, i love the program, makes my life allot easyer, and now i know what it does i can keep it in mind.
Never the less, its a major bug that needs sorting..
Equinox

Postby bitmonger » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:56 pm

I can't duplicate any of this. When I try the rename of 1-10 it immediately pops up and says
Item filename could not be renamed
Target filename already exists

Ignore this error or continue processing?

It refused to rename and did not delete.

Under the options menu, maybe you have Overwrite target files checked?
Also, under the options menu you can select Prevent Duplicates which adds a _xx suffix to any files that would have been duplicate names.
bitmonger

Return to General Comments