Some extensions / types being ignored?

Post any general comments regarding Bulk Rename Utility here. Open to all registered users.

Some extensions / types being ignored?

Postby pinholesteve » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:07 pm

First, I LOVE BRU. Fantastic tool!

But, I have a folder with a bunch of 'double extensions' generated by another tool - like 'DSC009000.JPG.MODD'. There is one for each regular JPG file, e.g. DSC009000.JPG.

BRU can see the regular JPG files, but not the .JPG.MODD files. By 'see', I mean, BRU will show the JPGs in the list view of files, but not the .JPG.MODD ones. I also created a file with a random extension, foo.scr, and it's not visible either. So that confirms that it's not the double extension - but it seems that BRU 'knows' some extensions, but not others (and won't display them.)

I've reset everything in BRU (no luck) and confirmed that I'm looking at the right folders, etc. The files with strange extensions are just normal - not hidden, archived, etc.

This is probably pilot error, but I can't see a way out. Any tips?

thanks
Steve
pinholesteve

Re: Some extensions / types being ignored?

Postby therube » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:26 pm

"Hiding" extensions of known file types (at the OS level)?

therube

Re: Some extensions / types being ignored?

Postby pinholesteve » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:35 pm

(mostly) SOLVED

Yes, it was mostly pilot error! The hidden bit was set (so was the archive bit, but that seems irrelevant - have tried it on and off, and it has no effect.) I have Explorer set up to show hidden files, so I didn't notice the H bit. As soon as I unset H, BRU could see the files.

But - I had thought the 'Hidden' check box in the Selections window would have made them show up, even with the H bit set -- but it doesn't. Tried the broadest filters in Selection that I could come up with, and it didn't show my hidden files until the H bit was unset. Played around with some other items in Selection (e.g. max file length) and (once H was unset) it did control which files showed up in the file list (as expected.) So it still seems to me that the Hidden checkbox should have helped me. Does anyone know why it didn't?

thanks again
steve
pinholesteve

Return to General Comments