Newbie - Help with sort on 'Date Picture Taken'

Post any Bulk Rename Command support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Newbie - Help with sort on 'Date Picture Taken'

Postby mraghvani » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:24 am

Hi All,

Please forgive me, but Ive gone thru the forum for answers to my 'Date Picture Taken' issue but cannot find any help. maybe you know better :)

I have a range of photos taken on various cameras (I use the SLR and the wife's uses a digital camera). Now I copy all the photos into one folder and then would like to use BRU to sort out the files according to the 'Data Picture Taken'. Maybe I can add a field like 'Created' or 'Modified' using 'Date Picture Taken', if so, how ?

This would then allow me to rename the filenames of the photos to sequentially (ie: pic_1.jpg , pic_2.jpg etc) and will then display using a slideshow correctly according to the time they were taken.

Any ideas ?

PS: BRU is fantastic and has saved me alot of time, but for photos is what would make it even better :)
mraghvani

Re: Newbie - Help with sort on 'Date Picture Taken'

Postby Stefan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:12 am

mraghvani wrote:use BRU to sort out the files according to the 'Data Picture Taken'.
This would then allow me to rename the filenames of the photos to sequentially (ie: pic_1.jpg , pic_2.jpg etc)

You can enter temporarily some rename criteria so you can sort the NewName column
- In your case take an look at "Auto Date(8): Type: Taken"

- sort then by clicking the NewName column header, so the Name list is sorted now too
- click twice this header to invert the sort order

- DON'T rename!!!, remove your temporary criteria after sorting

- enter your real criteria
- continue as usual
Stefan

Postby mraghvani » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:09 pm

Hey thanks for the quick reply. I tried following your steps, but I'll be honest, I did'nt understand it very well. I also didnt notice any differnce when using "Auto Date(8): Type: Taken"

I did come across this last night : http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=986

The last POST by Geovane, mentions : Go to "Options", "Extract", and mark the option "Exif Data (Photos)", so I enabled and then closed BRU and restarted, now I see field for Date Picture Taken. Using the sort allowed me to do exactly what I wanted.

Thanks again
mraghvani

Postby baklazanek » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:17 pm

Stefan wrote:
mraghvani wrote:use BRU to sort out the files according to the 'Data Picture Taken'.
This would then allow me to rename the filenames of the photos to sequentially (ie: pic_1.jpg , pic_2.jpg etc)

You can enter temporarily some rename criteria so you can sort the NewName column
- In your case take an look at "Auto Date(8): Type: Taken"

- sort then by clicking the NewName column header, so the Name list is sorted now too
- click twice this header to invert the sort order

- DON'T rename!!!, remove your temporary criteria after sorting

- enter your real criteria
- continue as usual

Thanks alot! :wink:
baklazanek

Return to BRC Support