Sort Order of file list in Windows 7 Explorer is not used

Post any Bulk Rename Command support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Sort Order of file list in Windows 7 Explorer is not used

Postby bditson@shaw.ca » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:38 am

I need to number a series of files that are listed in a folder in Windows 7 and it is important that they be numbered consecutively in the same order that I see them in the file list. When I select them and start BRC the list is not the same (in either the default or the logical order under options). It seems to be a discrepancy in how "-", "_", and " "(space) are treated. Can you suggest how I can get the file list in BRC to be in the same order as I see them in the folder display?
Thank you
bditson@shaw.ca

Re: Sort Order of file list in Windows 7 Explorer is not used

Postby spamspambaconspam » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:46 am

Explorer has over 120 columns which can be used for sorting
Explorer also has nuanced differences in sorting based upon the language pack used.

When I open Explorer, sort files on filename, then use BRU's context menu command from Explorer to open BRU, the sort order is exactly the same.

To show us an example, you can link to an image.
The easiest way to get an image from your Word document is just take a screenshot of it and upload it to any online storage you have.
Google Drive, MS OneDrive, Dropbox, etc

Otherwise, in your reply, paste a selection of the list you see in Explorer (or create fake filenames that have the same exact starting characters)
and then paste those same same filenames in the alternative order you are seeing them in BRU.

There's a way to do this and we'll help you get it done.

Cheers,

Spammy
spamspambaconspam

Re: Sort Order of file list in Windows 7 Explorer is not used

Postby bditson@shaw.ca » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:27 am

I have created a word file with screenshots which shows that the order of the files in Windows is different than in BRU. The following link should display the file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0tvedn3ajbyhup/Bulk%20Rename%20Utility%20Problems.docx?dl=0

I would really appreciate help with this. Thank you for the responses so far!
bditson@shaw.ca

Return to BRC Support