Earliest Valid Date

Post any Bulk Rename Command support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Earliest Valid Date

Postby BobN » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:12 am

I've been scanning some old photos and film and toying with the idea of changing file creation dates to reflect when the photo was taken, then using BRC to include this date when renaming the image files.

Unfortunately, it appears that dates of 01/01/1970 and earlier are seen as invalid and BRC exits in a less than gracious manner. It seems that BRU also has this date restriction.

Any thoughts on why this might be so?

Ta

BobN
BobN

Re: Earliest Valid Date

Postby Admin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:34 am

Yes I'm afraid BCU and BRU both have the same limitation.

Many date functions in Windows (and Unix for that matter) cound in seconds from 01/01/1970, which is known as the Epoch. There are some functions which start earlier (1900 I think) but at the time BRC/BRU were coded I did not envisage people processing historical data - this feature was aimed at people who had the wrong date on their digital camera etc.

So unfortunately yes, 1970 is the earliest data you can process with this software.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Earliest Valid Date

Postby BobN » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:28 am

Thanks for the swift reply Jim,

Looks like I will be doing some file naming manually, no big deal as I need to add some other stuff manually anyway.

Cheers

BobN
BobN

Return to BRC Support