BRC Autonumber Break?

Post any Bulk Rename Command support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

BRC Autonumber Break?

Postby jarhtmd » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:05 am

I’m setting up a .bat file for a recurring task of renaming image files in a folder. When I’m almost done with all the changes, the beginning characters of the filenames will contain the name of the person who took the picture. Each person can submit up to 3 files.

As the very last change, I’d like to add a number suffix of each person’s files.
Al Smith~Africa~1.jpg
Al Smith~Still Life~2.jpg
Al Smith~Sunrise~3.jpg
John Doe~Great Wall~1.jpg
John Doe~London Bridge~2.jpg
Mary Morgan~Apples~1.jpg

Can this be accomplished in BRC? I can do it with BRU, using Numbering(10), Break . . . but I’d really prefer to make all the naming changes using the same tool. BRC seem best for all except this one last change.
jarhtmd

Re: BRC Autonumber Break?

Postby Admin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:15 am

No unfortunately BRC does not include this functionality. I'm not sure why (!) but I've just checked the source code.

I'll take a look and see how easy it would be to add it, but no promises....

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Re: BRC Autonumber Break?

Postby jarhtmd » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:07 am

Thanks for your prompt reply. I hope you’ll be able to make that revision.

I know you’re trying to finalize revisions, so I hesitate to even mention this. I would really like to break the numbering on “name”, which in my case is always separated from the remaining characters by “~”. Of course, all names are not the same number of characters in length. Probably, “breaking” on the 1st 8 or 10 characters will probably provide accurate results.

Could the break trigger be based on the location of the 1st occurance of a “specific character”?

Just an idea . . . not critical . . . I have no idea what so ever how much work might be involved.

Thanks again.
jarhtmd

Return to BRC Support