BRU is retiring... - We wish you all the best

Post any general comments regarding Bulk Rename Utility here. Open to all registered users.

BRU is retiring... - We wish you all the best

Postby Stefan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:02 am

BRU is retiring...

Postby Admin on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:21 pm

Hi all,

After many years, Bulk Rename Utility is retiring. It has run its course and is now a reasonably stable product.

There may be one more release, to tidy up some loose ends, but that is not confirmed. I WILL be continuing to support it though.

Thanks to everyone for the support and suggestions over the years.

Jim

PS It's not an April Fool
Stefan

Re: BRU is retiring... - We wish you all the best

Postby Stefan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:07 am

I can't say how sad i feel about this. Jim.
But i understand that one have to break and do some other things in live.
And we know that you have other things in mind then developing and supporting an freeware tool.

I want to thank you for all your support and an great tool given to us :P

THANK YOU Jim !!!!111!1 :mrgreen:

-
Stefan

Postby Glenn » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:32 am

Jim,

Let me second what Stephan has said.
Through your kind generosity you have provided and supported a wonderful and useful tool. Thanks and all the best in the future.

Glenn
Glenn

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:06 am

Thanks Guys. As I say, it will still be supported for a long time to come. And I may make more releases, especially to fix bugs. But I'm not planning any more main enhancements.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BRUFolio » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:21 am

Jim,

You have done us a great service. The product is mature and quite useful.

But, when you do come back to improve it, charge something for it. We'll pay,,,,

Thanks so very much, and best wishes to you and the Mrs..........

BRUFolio
BRUFolio

Postby GMA » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi:
It's always sad when a developer announces he will no longer work on a product. But, in some (few) cases, it also means that it has reached a level of quality where the need of further modifications/additions is almost null.
I think we all can agree that this is one of those cases.
Thanks for a wonderful program, Jim, and best of luck in your future projects :wink:

Gabriel.
Last edited by GMA on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMA

Postby jarhtmd » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:21 pm

Jim

BRU is the absolute best renaming program that I have found anywhere, at any price. You have been tireless (& oh so prompt) in your response to requests for modifications.

Best of luck in all your future endeavors.
jarhtmd

Postby OK2BUS » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:12 pm

I just wanted to throw in my 2cents. I absolutely love this software. I have turned my whole family, and all my friends onto this. When I first started filing photos, I foolishly
named them kinda silly names like: maddie silly hat. For about the past two years, I have wised up and started naming them with a "prefix" of the date, then the silly name.
With the use of this awesome software, I have been slowly, but surely, going back through thousands of pictures and renaming them. If not for this utility, well, I guess
we know that a) it would take years, or b) I wouldn't ever get it done. With 7 grandkids, and the oldest 14, not to mention my own kids history I will hopefully be able to
get all arranged and burnt to disks for everyone. I look forward to seeing anything new you may come up with, and thanks for letting join the board to praise and let you
know the appreciation from a user. Thanks again
:cry:
OK2BUS

Postby KHL » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:03 pm

Dear friend,

I haven't been here for many weeks and just stumbled across your announcement.

I'm SHOCKED, but thankful, too. I specifically appreciated your always fast responses to bug-reports, questions and/or suggestions, and their quick implementation into next releases. I can't remember any request that hasn't been included, ever. Okay, perhaps my last one that requested a tick-box for Renaming in Reverse Order within Block (10)... :wink:

If every software developer did such a great job as YOU did over the past years, there wouldn't be badly programmed tools at all all over the world.

Best wishes and may God bless you!

Karl-Heinz,
proud active member #5 of the WORLD's BEST SOFTWARE's forum
KHL

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:09 pm

Thansk Karl-Heinz. Perhaps that option will make it into the final final release :-)

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby andass » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:24 pm

Hi Jim,

Had been utilising your BRU for some time and regret that the first time that i send a note to the authur of the wonderful program is after he decided to retire from upgrading the sw.

Would like to add that the my friends and i find the BRU a software that seems to be designed for anyone who works a lot with computers. Its functions seems exhausive and covers all the functions that ppl would need for any situations. Its a fantastic program.

Also like to add that we appreciate your prompt help at the forum. And all these help came just because you wanted to help.

Thank you, Jim

Best Regards and Wishes for your future Endeavour

Andass Teu
andass

Postby ZoNi » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:41 am

:(

I am very sad about this info! Didn't see it before - maybe that can explain how good BRU is ;)

Hope that sometime in the future you will have time to add some interesting little thingy in BRU, or to fix some bugs (there are bugs in BRU? ;) )

Anyway... Jim, I wish you all the best! And thank you for such a lovely freeware :)
ZoNi

Postby xjax » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:14 pm

Jim,

So this is very strange. Nearly a year ago, to the day, I stumbled upon this software utility while I was looking for something to help organize photos. I used it for a day and figured I send Jim a donation if I continued to use it. Now, a year later I'm organizing photos again and I'm searching Google for that really useful utility... Apparently late July is photo organizing time for me.

Anyhow, I'm sad to hear that next July I may not find this utility again. What to do? Download all the latest versions and store them for safe-keeping of course!

This time around I'm donating $10 to once again avoid spending my day writing Perl scripts. So, please enjoy a couple of cold ones on me.

Have you considered turning this into an open source project and letting someone else manage it? This would ensure that bugs and enhancements continue to get addressed and maybe someone with time would add alternative platform support etc.

Anyhow, Good luck and Thanks!
Christian
xjax

Postby ander » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:09 am

Hi Jim,

As I mentioned in email, congratulations on reaching the "It's perfect, why fuss with it?" point. BRU's the best app of its kind, IMHO. Considering the immense work you've put into it over the years, you well deserve your rest.

I just submitted BRU to Freewarehome.com. I was surprised it wasn't already there. Here's the description I included (I felt your customary description was far too modest):

The most versatile renamer for multiple files and folders! Use simple string substitutions; add/remove specific characters; add number sequences; modify date/time stamps; change case; move or copy; use Regular Expressions, and more. You can list files in all subfolders and change any of them too. New names appear as real-time previews, so you can always adjust your settings before you apply any changes. At first glance, you may feel overwhelmed by BRU's capabilities, but its basic features are easy and its flexibility is amazing.

Some people aren't quite prepared for BRU's power, so I thought I'd better include that little warning. :wink:

Cheers, Ander
ander

Postby Admin » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:05 am

Many thanks Ander :-)
Admin
Site Admin

Return to General Comments