Some suggestions

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Postby Black_Mark » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:57 pm

Admin wrote:1) I didn't even know there was an Invert button in Explorer, I've never used it. And I still can't see why it would be useul....

Suppose that you have selected some files and do some renaming on them.
THEN, you want to rename the rest of them (using different criteria).

Wouldn't it be easier, when you can select the rest files,
just by pressing this "Invert Selection" button(or -better- a keyboard shortcut for it),
rather than by manually selecting them one-by one?

2) And again, why is this useful? I deliberately show the file-extension in BRU, regardless of the users' Explorer settings, as I figure this would be more useful. Am I wrong?

Look; since both the icons+the filetype(as a column) already appear for every kind of file in the list-view(=the right pane) of the program -just like Windows Explorer-.
I think that it's better when the extension is hidden,
while working in some specific folders (in which you're already sure that the extensions of the files is exactly as you want them to be),
it's easier for the eye, when looking at the "New Name" column of the program.

Anyway, I think that the best would be, if you made a setting about it, in the Options menu.
Last edited by Black_Mark on Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black_Mark

Postby Admin » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:59 pm

Hi,

Making it an Options menu is actually quite involved. BRU uses the displayed name for its processing, so if I removed the extension from the display, none of the extension-processing stuff (last box on screen) would work. it can be done, but it's quite a bit involved. Perhaps a later release.

The Invert stuff might be easier than I thought, so I'll have a quick look to see if it can be done.

Jim
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Black_Mark » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:01 pm

Thank you, Jim!
Black_Mark

Re: Some suggestions

Postby Black_Mark » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:25 am

Something else:

Could you please add in the "6. Move/Copy section" of BRU
two more options: Move/Copy (the) characters "from y to z" (to this/that point of the filename)?
(just like it is in the "5. Remove section": "from y to z)].
Black_Mark

Postby gaetan75 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:41 am

Hello,

i fully agree with Mark; this move from/to option would really be very useful.
Can you include this in next release ?

I guess alternative for this is to use RegEx. If so can you tell how ? I am newby at this and couldn't find how to do

Thanks !
gaetan75

Postby wierd0n3 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:12 pm

I have only 2 real requests at the moment

the first is a address field so i can navigate to a network share. My files are located on a media center and i have the folders shared but not mounted anywhere. all my other programs understand network addresses so having this feature would be awesome. (for example "//media_center/drive f"

the second thing i would request is a tab (probably above the folder tree) that links to a folder where i can store my presets and just click on one to use it. I find the favorite menu very confusing and dont really use it. I have just been opening the folder where i save the .bru files and click them to activate my script.

Thanks for a awesome product
wierd0n3

Postby djshotty » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:18 am

Yeh, thanks Jim for a great app. Only bother I have with it, the damn thing locks up after I click outside a renamed file. What I mean by that, I will have done my global renames then move onto little niggly things like apostrophe's where they should be, etc. If I highlight and rename an individual file that's shown in the details view, then click anywhere outside that highlighted area (except on the Rename button at the bottom), the program locks up and I have to end process tree from Task Manager. OS: Vista 64 Ultimate SP1.

Cheers.....

Add-on: Workaround - just hitting the Enter key completes the rename without locking up.
djshotty

RE:Selections(12) => Allow Regular Expressions to Specify Fi

Postby jokinjo2001 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:52 am

Hi:
I am also not quite sure what functionality Black_Mark has in mind, but I would bet that he could work an implementation with a RegEx (or two or more - w/&& as proposed! - Very cool.) I am finding that, as I assimilate the RegEx "Language", restricting the filter to the old DOS wildcards is an unfortunate limitation. With much appreciation and thanks for this great project, (and a promise to pony up some bucks when I can get some work.) jokinjo.
P.S. This is the first post(?) that I have made to any website, anywhere. I will be waiting with-abated-breath to find that someone has seen it. Thanks Again.
jokinjo2001

Postby Admin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:04 am

Yes, I think having the && RegEx functionality would add quite some power to BRU :)
Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Suggestions