Reverse sequence. Newbie question

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Reverse sequence. Newbie question

Postby embalse » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:04 am

OK. I have downloaded BRU and like I guess a few other people was quite daunted by the UI.

However having spent some time using the software I am now beginning to understand how it works and most importantly how many great features it has.

There is one thing I still cannot do. I want to rename a sequence, but in reverse order.

For example I have files 0001 – 0245. I want to rename them with a prefix G and in reverse order. So 0245 would become G0001.

Is this possible with BRU. I have tick Options/Rename in reverse order... but this has no effect unless I am doing something wrong.
embalse

Re: Reverse sequence. Newbie question

Postby Stefan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:06 pm

embalse wrote:I want to rename a sequence, but in reverse order.
For example I have files 0001 – 0245.
I want to rename them with a prefix G and in reverse order.
So 0245 would become G0001.

embalse> I have files 0001 – 0245.
1.) Click on the header of the name column to sort the list from 0245 to 0001
2.) File(2) Name Remove
3.) Add(7) Prefix 'G'
4.) Numbering(10) Suffix, Start 1, Pad 4
Stefan

Postby craigcasey » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:17 pm

embalse wrote:OK. I have downloaded BRU and like I guess a few other people was quite daunted by the UI.

I have tick Options/Rename in reverse order... but this has no effect unless I am doing something wrong.

I also have the same problem. BRU seems stuck in "Rename in reverse order."

I just want it to rename in normal numerial order!

Any other ideas? Ty Casey
craigcasey

Postby KenP » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:02 pm

craigcasey wrote:I also have the same problem. BRU seems stuck in "Rename in reverse order."

I just want it to rename in normal numerial order!

Any other ideas? Ty Casey

When Rename in Reverse Order is selected in the Renaming Options menu it just renames the files in reverse order, i.e. from bottom to top, and has no affect on the numbering system.

Normally BRU renames files starting at the top of the selected files list and works it's way down to the last selected file, when "Rename in Reverse Order" is selected in the Renaming Options menu the files are renamed in reverse order, in other words the file at the bottom of the selected list is renamed first and the file at the top of the selected list is renamed last, it has nothing to do with the numbering order.

If you're renaming files with numbers make sure they are correctly ordered before starting the renaming process.

Perhaps if you gave us an example of what's happening we may be able to help
KenP

Postby craigcasey » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:30 pm

Ok I'm trying to rename

IMG_2272
IMG_2271
IMG_2270
IMG_2269
IMG_2268

to:

10007d
10007c
10007b
10007a

but it makes IMG_2271 to 10007 when i want it to change to 10007d.

i would think that since it is the highest numerial, it would get the last alpha appended.

Thanks!
craigcasey

Postby KenP » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:57 pm

craigcasey wrote:i would think that since it is the highest numerial, it would get the last alpha appended.

I don't think it works like that :wink:

You need to click on the "Name" tab above the list of files to sort the files so the lowest number is at the top of the list then change the names to 10007, select the files you want to give a suffix to and then apply the suffix letters.

BRU doesn't recognise the highest or lowest number, it only recognises the order of the files that's selected, so you need to order the files with the lowest number at the top of the list before starting the renaming process.
KenP

Postby InN4f2r » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:17 am

Here's how to rename the files in a folder such that sorting them by name sorts them in the reverse order they sorted by name before they were renamed.

A. Using BRU (UI):
- Enter directory
- Sort files as you want them to be sequenced after renaming.
- Select (highlight) files you want to rename
- File out "Numbering (10)" section and "Copy/Move to Location (13)" section.
- Click "Rename" button

B. Using Bulk Rename Command from CMD prompt in Windows:

The following command line will sort all "JPG" files in reverse order of their file names, then prepend to each "*.JPG" file name an enumerator of 3 digits, i.e.:

"oldfilename_100.JPG" -> "001_oldfilename_100.JPG"
"oldfilename_099.JPG" -> "002_oldfilename_099.JPG"
"oldfilename_098.JPG" -> "003_oldfilename_098.JPG"

"c:\path\BRC64.exe" /DIR:"C:\path\folder name" /SORTBY:N /NOFOLDERS /PATTERN:"*.JPG" /SORTDESC /AUTONUMBER:1:1:P:_:10:3 /EXECUTE

Note: The /PATTERN argument is case-sensitive (even though Windows file names aren't). "*.jpg" (lower case) will _not_ capture a file named "1.JPG" (upper case extension) even on Windows.
InN4f2r

Return to BRU Support