Issues and Suggestions

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Issues and Suggestions

Postby The_Renamer » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:41 pm

Firstly thank you very much for your wonderful program and especially for sharing it :)

I apologise in advance for not explaining myself very well, I find it difficult to describe things in text.

Some issues I have noticed.

Using 3.0.0.1 portable. (no install) Win 7 64bit Service Pack 1

When dragging a folder into the main screen, there is no way to refresh that folder or group of files easily. (F5) clears the screen only. A refresh button on the main tool bar would be nice and helpful.

If a user wants to work on a new folder or group they have to either click down the path (left hand column) which takes a long time or close and re-open BRU to allow them to drag the folder they want into the main screen. Otherwise the contents of the current folder is included with the newly dragged folder.

If the user changes their mind about options in group 12 (filters) they have to re-drag the folder into the main screen or close BRU and open it again.

Request:

Thank you for adding the manual rename to the menu options. However having the manual option in the right click context would be more useful and intuitive for the user.

An icon to the left of the file name in the main screen would be great to allow the user to manually rename the item in the selected row.

An option to colour the background of rows by file type might be helpful.

An option to stop executing a file if the user accidentally double left clicks on it when trying to select. Ideally for me personally BRU would never allow the user to open a file from the re-naming screen. Perhaps disable executing files on double left click by default and make running of files a right click option to avoid accidents. BRU should predominantly be focused on renaming so I suggest all tasks are favoured to renaming and not usual windows behaviour.

An option to edit office documents and PDF etc meta data would be great, especially a "clean all" option :) This would allow the user to remove private data from all their office files in one simple operation, in bulk.

Your forum registration software sent my user name and password in plain text to my e-mail account. This is not a very secure thing to do. Ideally you would not send the password, certainly not in plain text.

The forum does not allow HTTPS connections so my user name and password have to be sent in clear text. Not important for a forum like this I suppose but something to consider.

Thank you.
The_Renamer

Re: Issues and Suggestions

Postby Emerkamp » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:55 pm

An option to edit office documents and PDF etc meta data would be great, especially a "clean all" option :) This would allow the user to remove private data from all their office files in one simple operation, in bulk

This is more of a meta-data option. I think exiftool can do this. Probably others i don't know about.

I could be wrong,, but I think BRU is trying to stay away from changing or editing file data.
Emerkamp

Return to Suggestions