Program Load Time

Would you like Bulk Rename Utility to offer new functionality? Post your comments here!

Program Load Time

Postby thedexmonster » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:17 am

Can anything be done about the length of time it takes to load this program? Sometimes it takes an entire minute to load and there is no obvious sign of anything happening during that time. I have experienced this on fresh installations of Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 on real machines as well as in VMware.

The system I am using is custom built with an ASUS 990FX Sabertooth Motherboard, AMD FX8150 (8 Cores 3.6GHz/Core) CPU, 32GB DDR3-1866 RAM (9-9-9-24), SanDisk Extreme Pro 480GB SSD, Radeon R7 370 STRIX GPU 2GB GDDR5, Windows 10 Pro x64 Insider Build 14388 (Currently).

With a system like this, and with a brand new installation of windows, I can't figure out why it takes so long to load. It should at least have a window saying it's loading and to wait during that time.

EDIT: I would also like to point out there is obviously no form of cache used, since it takes the same amount of time to load the first time as it does if you close it and re-open it, even in the same location.
thedexmonster

Re: Program Load Time

Postby therube » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:22 pm

I'm actually quite surprised at how quickly it loads.

Now it does load the "directory tree"; C:, E:, H:, I:, & M:, in my case.

Not on my current computer, but on another, that computer has a "phantom" A: drive (actually related to a special A: drive designation a particular Flash drive contained), & particular programs when enumerating the drive list, would "see" that A: drive & seemingly attempt to query it, but would fail, as it was not actually there, but during that query period, the program "hung" for a period of time.

The latest program to do something like that was WizTree.
The older 1.x version had no problem, but when he released the 2.x version, it "saw" the A: drive, & so there was a delay on program start up.
(I subsequently disabled the "A:" drive in the BIOS & the problem went away.)

Perhaps you're running into similar, where BRU is trying to enumerate a particular drive, is expecting to see it, query it, but can't, & so until it "times out", the program seems to hang.
therube

Re: Program Load Time

Postby thedexmonster » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:40 am

Good call,
One of my 3TB backup drives was failing. Without the faulty drive connected BRU runs great!
I apologize for the accusation.
thedexmonster

Return to Suggestions