Scanning Folder - Not Responding

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Scanning Folder - Not Responding

Postby lquinn » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:04 pm

I can't scan a folder anymore
Windows 10 64Bit - BRU v3.0.0.1 with Commercial licence
As soon as I try to browse to a folder containing 25 files (each only 225K), the programme is not responding.

Left it for 30 minutes and no result.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, as well as recreating the local indexes

Any ideas?
lquinn

Re: Scanning Folder - Not Responding

Postby Emerkamp » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:04 am

Hello:

Just this one folder:

Or do other folders act the same way..
Emerkamp

Postby lquinn » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:58 am

Other folders are the same.

Any folders with more than 6 or 7 files in them seem to hang
lquinn

Postby Emerkamp » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:52 pm

lquinn wrote:Other folders are the same.

Any folders with more than 6 or 7 files in them seem to hang

Ok

Here are the 3 post I've seen that may be related to your problem:

-Link 1

-Link 2

-And Link 3

Hope something here helps, until the dev. can help... If these don't help and you have a Paid Version, Then you might want to try and PM him.
I'm sure Paid Version Gets a priority.
Emerkamp

Postby Admin » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:26 am

Hi, please let us know if you find out what the issue is, thanks!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby PatatiPatata » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:01 pm

Hello,
I've been using BRU 2.7.1.2 for a long time on Windows 10, and I was extremely happy with it.
After a few months not needing it, I tried to use it today and realise that I now have this problem on most folders.
I upgraded to the latest version 3.0.0.1, with exactly the same behaviour.

I get the same behaviour if accessing local files or network locations.

For some reason, I'm able to read "some" folders. Could it be because they contain only certain file types?
I can open folders with only .iso, .epub, etc, but if they contain a .jpg or .mp3, I get the (Not Responding) issue.

I see no apparent link with the presence of .zip files in the directory tree.

This is an amazing tool, and I'd like to keep using it. At the moment, it is completely useless to me.

Regards,
(I posted this reply to two similar threads, I hope it is acceptable to the forum)

--------------

Update:
For some reason, it looks like Windows 10 had the issue. I tried to select "Open with..." from file explorer and got the same "not Responding" behaviour. A reboot solved my issue.
PatatiPatata

Postby HoodCP » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:08 pm

I had the same problem.
If you have the Bulk Rename extension in Explorer turned on (if not uninstall & reinstall), then go via Explorer to the folder where the files are that you want to rename, just highlight a couple of files that you want to rename, right click & choose the Bulk Rename extension, it will then open the program and, at least for me, it all works OK.
HoodCP

Postby duckcurve » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:56 pm

Long-time fan of BRU here, unfortunately the program has recently become totally unusable for me due to this problem. No matter whether I install the program or use the "noinstall" version, I have the same result. Launching the program works fine, navigating the folder tree on the left with the little plus icons works fine, but then when I select a folder to populate the main view it hangs the entire program. The status indicator at the bottom suggests that the folder is being scanned, but there is absolutely no progress or activity evident. This occurs for every folder I try - including those with only one or two small files in them. I was unfortunately not able to workaround it using the right-click context menu as the previous user suggested.

I am using Windows 10 Pro running at the current public release as of this writing, on a Surface Pro 2.
duckcurve

Postby Admin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:33 am

OK, I just tried on our Surface PRO 4 running the latest Windows 10 build 1709 , and all seems good.
Regarding the folder at the bottom , what is the folder name or file name? Are you including subfolders in the scanning?
Can you try with a total different folder, .e.g a USB drive? thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Postby mmelinda » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:45 pm

Hi,

Sorry never mind, it started working again.
mmelinda

Postby Nell » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:02 am

I have this problem and can not remedy it in any shape or form. I'm working with folders containing 20+ images and I can't load any of the folders. They are all ARW (Sony RAW) files, all around 20MB in size. If anyone solves this issue, please post here.

EDIT: I waited somewhere betwen 5-10 mins and eventually the folder loaded. 63 Files, 1.19GB Total folder size.
Nell

Postby Panchdara » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:55 am

Nell wrote:I waited somewhere betwen 5-10 mins and eventually the folder loaded. 63 Files, 1.19GB Total folder size.

Out of curiosity, do you have the Exif Data option on?
Panchdara

Postby Nell » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:51 pm

No, I don't.

I should further point out, that once the initial waiting period of 5-10 mins is over, I can then go into any other directory and the loading of files is instant.. including libraries of the ARW files I have never loaded in BRU before. As soon as I close the program, I load up the any folder and wait 10 minutes again. For now, I just have to remember to not close the program! :)
Nell

Postby therube » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:31 pm

once the initial waiting period of 5-10 mins is over, I can then go into any other directory and the loading of files is instant

For someone running into the situation, & with the knowledge, Process Monitor might help in finding the issue.

Also, what OS (Win10 ?) & build?
therube

Postby therube » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:14 pm

suggest me some another method

Drag & Drop.
From Windows Explorer, from a file manager, from Everything...
therube

Next

Return to BRU Support